Need advice on Lost Channel On Prototype Reduction Unit with Integration

JDeiner · 1756

Offline JDeiner

I have built a number of Bottlehead Kits and love them. I needed a phono preamp fast and took the easy route by purchasing the prototype Reduction Unit from Bottlehead. I have used it sparingly over the last year or so (it sounds great however!!!). Recently I lost a channel. I switched tubes and phono inputs but the problem remains in the left channel. I have the manual but the prototype is wired differently and I don't want to dive right into it.

Any advice on trouble shooting the unit? Some logic or starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Offline Grainger49

I would still take the resistance readings.  Post any out of spec by more than 15%.  The same for voltages.

Bottlehead will sort out the differences.  But having that information here to begin with will give them a foot up.

Offline JDeiner

Thanks,

I will do that. One thing I should have mentioned is that the channel went from weak to distorted to nothing. I was thinking it may be a bad cap, but they are new.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Check the heater voltages at each socket and make sure the tubes all glow.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JDeiner

One is glowing noticeably brighter than the other. Will check voltages.

Offline JDeiner

And now both channels work after switching the tubes back and forth a couple time while swearing. I am going to leave well enough alone. Thanks for the help.