Reduction with Technics 1200 turntable & SEX amp // A good match?

sdritchey · 1483

Offline sdritchey

Hello bottleheads :)

I'm shopping for some new audio gear to complement my existing setup and would like the input of the knowledgable community here.  I am pretty much a noob and don't understand most of the language in the amp descriptions.

Current Setup:
I have more of a hybrid/dj setup with 2 Technics 1200's going into a Rane mixer, that leads to a SEX amp and a pair of Klipsch Heresey III floor speakers.  I'm looking to use my existing speakers, one turntable and SEX amp and convert to more of a Hi-Fi listening setup.

I'm Considering:
I need 2 inputs into the system (one for the turntable and one for a wireless audio receiver) and I think I also need a phono preamp.  I'm considering the Reduction with the Integration upgrade and the Submissive passive preamp as a replacement for the dj mixer which currently serves both of these functions.  Resulting system would be:

Technics 1200 turntable > Reduction phono preamp > Submissive preamp/switcher > SEX amp > Heresey III speakers

Questions:
1: Have I planned this out well?  Are these components a good match for each other and if not, what would be some better options?

2: Do I need the Reduction preamp or could I plug the turntable straight into the Submissive and then on to the SEX amp?

3: What is the size of the Submissive faceplate?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice :)

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

1: Have I planned this out well?  Are these components a good match for each other and if not, what would be some better options?
Presumably. You don't specify what cartridge you will be using, which affects phono preamp choice more than the turntable. Most standard cartridges will work well though.

2: Do I need the Reduction preamp or could I plug the turntable straight into the Submissive and then on to the SEX amp?
You need a phono preamp of some kind. Whether or not it's a Reduction, you need to something to amplify the very small signal of the cartridge up to line level and provide the necessary adjustments for the RIAA curve.

3: What is the size of the Submissive faceplate?
6"x10"

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline sdritchey

Wow thank you for the quick reply.  Sounds like I am good to go and can order the kits soon.

Regarding the cartridge selection, I actually haven't chosen one yet as I currently have more dj oriented cartridges in there now and they are due to be replaced anyway.  I saw the list of recommended cartridges on the Reduction product page and was going to use that as a starting point.  Any advice is most welcome :)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
The most important thing is to get a cartridge with a nominal output of 5mV or higher. That will guarantee plenty of output from the Reduction into the S.E.X. amp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline sdritchey

Perfect, I was just about to ask this!

Thanks so much for the help :)