Placed an order for the Quickie--need advice on tools and upgrades

West · 2118

Offline West

I'm really excited about building the Quickie but need some advice. This will be my first DIY audio project. The first order of business will be getting the right tools.  Obviously, I'm going to need a soldering iron and volt meter.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get?

Was thinking about this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRC2XU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER  But would like to get some advice before pulling the trigger.  I've got no clue as to what kind of volt meter to get. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Also, I'm interested in doing a few upgrades from the stock components.  In particular, I'd like to upgrade the capacitors and volume pot.  Based on some reading I've done on here, I'm considering the Clarity Cap 2.2uf / 630VDC, MR Series. 

I'd also like to upgrade to a Goldpoint stepped attenuator shown below. Has anyone used one of these in the Quickie??  Am I correct that I will need to 100k (whatever that means) version?

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldpt.com%2Fmv2_ang_170.jpg&hash=35ef3c29fe950fb4cd4f775b8b30a5bcb55acbbe)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Since it is your first DIY project it will make the most sense to stay with the stock parts. Otherwise there will be gaps in the instructions where you are installing a different part, and you could be stuck without a point of reference. After you finish the stock build and are sure everything is built to spec installing the upgrade parts you are suggesting would be pretty easy.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline West

Thanks.  Sounds like good advice.  Do you have a recommendation for a soldering iron and volt meter?

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
I can recommend the Clarity MR caps and an upgrade of the pot. I used an Alps though. The Goldpoint is brilliant and I use it in another preamp. I also prefer Mullard and  Telefunken tubes instead of the RCA's that came with the kit.

If you want to upgrade the pot later, than leave a little slack on the wires and trim them only once your final part goes in. Makes life a little easier later on.

Enjoy the Q. It is a brilliant pre. I still love it a lot.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Grainger49

There is a sticky in Tech Tools that gives you a list of what you need and some stuff you might want.

Edit: since it looks like you haven't been back to the thread I will suggest a Weller iron or station for soldering and a Fluke meter for your meter.

Both can be had for under $100 (each).  Not what a beginner wants to spend.  But when you find out how good this is you will have wasted $75 on a junk meter and soldering iron.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:58:34 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Wanderer

Listen to the Good Doctor.

Bone stock first - make sure all is good - run it for 50 hours or so to break in  - THEN do mods.

I'd urge the PJCCS as the first mod.   

Kevin R-M

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Building stock then modifying is much more fun, you also get to fully appreciate the differences.

The soldering iron you listed looks like a great deal to me. And Fluke multimeters are a lovely bit of kit if you can spend the extra, i bought myself one for christmas :)

M.McCandless

Offline aragorn723

Thanks.  Sounds like good advice.  Do you have a recommendation for a soldering iron and volt meter?

I got a weller professional one for about $28 from home depot recently (after replacing a butane powered one that took forever to heat up joints).  The professional one heats up in 30 seconds, and efffortlessly heats up even joints needing a lot of heat (like terminals).  Just finished a PJCCS with it, and it made for a painless project.. just my 2 cents  8)