First Quickie build, minor "static" issue [solved]

West · 1490

Offline West

Built my first Quickie and everything seemed to go well.  The voltages all checked out so I plugged it in.  It sounds great with one minor problem.  After listening for a bit, either the left or right channel will begin to develop a static-like sound.  I'm not sure how else to describe it.  It's not terribly loud and difficult to hear during most songs, but it's definitely there and annoying as hell. 

Interestingly, I've found that if I touch the tube for the channel with the noise, hold my fingers on it for a few seconds and release, the problem goes away, only to eventually come back later. The problem seems to occur more often on the right channel, but it does occur on the left side as well, just not quite as often.  Any ideas???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:20:30 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:03:56 AM
Sounds like a dirty tube socket or tube pins.  Just insert and remove the tube 10 times to clean both the socket and pins.

Can't hurt and often fixes the problem. 

Offline Wanderer

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:57 AM
I am betting on a dirty tube socket or tube pin or a battery connector.

I had a bit of "rustling paper" like sounds way in the background and I found that one of the d cell contacts had  noise if I rotated the battery while listening.

Treated tube sockets and all battery terminals with Caig DeOxit and it quieted down.

http://store.caig.com/

I do notice the "rustling paper" shows up again when a d cell is near end of life.     

Kevin R-M

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:28:36 PM
I had a similar issue with my Quickie on one channel, and gently cleaned the pins with some crocus cloth (used for cleaning plumbing connections-it should be at almost any hardware store) and haven't had an issue since..  Its sort of like sandpaper, but for metal.  Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Offline West

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 08:50:15 AM
Removed each tube 6 or 7 times, problem solved.  Thanks yall. :cheers