Question about replacing specific resistors in the Foreplay III

Mr. Lin · 8478

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 05:08:10 AM
Hi, I'm in the process of building a Foreplay III and have also bought the upgrade kit. How can I add the upgrades without first building the Foreplay and disassembling it to add the up grades? Are the instructions somewhere to follow? This is my second build so maybe I'm missing something.

The answer to this is that it is difficult.  The VERY STRONG suggestion by all at Bottlehead and most of us here on the forum is not to do that.  If there is a problem finding the solution is that much more difficult.

It is up to you. 

Offline ajp

Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 02:48:58 AM
Makes sense. Thanks.

Al

albert prio

Offline epistaxsis

Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:03 AM
As Grainger said that resistor in the input selector is ripe for replacement - I am bunging some Shinko tantalums in there to see what happens :-)

Now I am going to disagree with Grainger the volume control(s) is also fresh for fiddling.

However I wouldn't recommend just changing resistors here.

What you need to do is to change it over to a proper ladder attenuator.

This requires new switches and a *lot* of soldering - basically you are now dealing with at least twice the quantity of resistors which also at least doubles the cost of your boutique components!

But it is worth it as a ladder gives you a fixed input impedance (which things like valve based phonostages prefer).

Hopefully my new attenuator will arrive before the fat bloke goes charging around interfering with childeren...