bigger caps for output

Nutube · 4007

Offline Nutube

• AudioAddicted-RefuseRehab
on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:48 PM
I currently have 3.3 auricaps
Would  4.0 auricap bypass with 0.22 russian teflon make a difference
I have them handy and while the fp3 has its belly up I thought to ask before going ahead

what would be a simple way to reduce the first step volume by 6 db or 3 db.? AVC
thanks.

FP 1,2,3, Seduction, 45, Paramount 300B, Paraglow2A3; Dehavilland 845, Eico pp 805,Adcom 555 mono, Sota star saphire ugraded Nova motor & bearings,  Et 2.5 carbon wand on Shelter 901, Koetsu rosewood Sig., on magnesium wand, grado sumiko etc. Custom Edgarhorn with Seismic sub

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:59:23 PM
The change in value of the Aurucaps will not make any difference.  The frequency at which that would have an effect isn't music, that is there are no notes that low.

The KK Teflon bypass should make a difference.  Try them with jumpers first so you can listen on, off, on, off and see.

I don't have a calculator handy but I'm sure PJ or PB will chime in with a change for your volume control.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:42:14 PM
The series resistors exist so that the volume can be changed, differently on each input if desired. It's in the manual ...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:51:21 PM
Hey PJ,

He's using Slagle's autoformers.  Would you recommend just putting a voltage divider in front of it?  Maybe 25k minimum loading the transformer?

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:39:44 AM
I think Tony should probably ask Dave Slagle for tech support on changing the attenuation range of the autoformers. It's not really something we use in our designs and Dave probably has a broader range of experience regarding this.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Nutube

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:46:35 AM
hey doc
I did,  he just said that the avc taper cannot be adjusted, i will now ask him what PB mentioned above if it might work. Something  voltage divider ahead of the input to the autoformer.
ooops just came back to this post,
p.s I just did an experiment I use a Silk tvc 23 steps as a volume control for the Paramount 300b to help balance the amps between 45 and 300b mid range and mid base.......I used  a pair of Y splitter from tvc to paramont and now also to 45 as well. It works for late night whisper listening.! not ideal as I lost the 45 /300b balancing
For louder I just unhook 45 to go  back direct to Fp3. as before....not perfect as with both hook up to save tvc I cant balance between the 45 and 300b. May have to get another tvc for tha 45.....So Temporarily solved

hey PJ
I ordered the manual..... but I think I need the extended manual as well

hey grainger
 I will add the 0. 22 teflon to hear the diff.  I will have to  wait  tell it breaks in and report back.
With the 3.3 in I got some serious bass with some low organ augmented with a bridged 560 watt amp. So I believe re the teflon is all I need to further the smoothness of the 6sn7
Thanks all
Tony

FP 1,2,3, Seduction, 45, Paramount 300B, Paraglow2A3; Dehavilland 845, Eico pp 805,Adcom 555 mono, Sota star saphire ugraded Nova motor & bearings,  Et 2.5 carbon wand on Shelter 901, Koetsu rosewood Sig., on magnesium wand, grado sumiko etc. Custom Edgarhorn with Seismic sub

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:09:11 AM
You have me chuckling. This is a fundamental issue of modding our gear. People want to buy some other manufacturer's "improvement" and then we get to troubleshoot the installation of said improvement for the other manufacturer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:12:15 AM
Try this so you know earlier:

Fast Break In Post

Offline Nutube

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:30:44 PM
doc
My over eagerness in recent multiple component changes throughout system caused me NOT to think clearly.
Your point well taken,  I apologise.  Will try to stay within the confines of your product offerings.
Sorry that I had to make you "chuckle" :-)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:17:16 PM
It's cool Tony. Not meaning to pick on ya', I suppose I should be flattered that everyone comes to us for the answers, even if we didn't didn't make up the questions.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Nutube

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 06:42:38 PM
doc
As we used to say back in SF in the '60s........"PEACE & FAROUT"

That fp3 is really cooking sounding very good...you guys did a good job on that  piece. Rather than repeat all the accolates..it really helped in my system to bring out the spatial quality and details  smoothly, seems more power.
I am lurking waiting on reports ( From first adopters) ... to push me over to the beepree...how can that be better I say....
Whomever wired up this CES show fp3 gets a 5 star,  ( pb? ) he/she sure did a dandy job...
I am using the 6sn7 with hong kong adapters and have flexibilty of plugging in a 12bh7.... never heard that tube before.....fun and games aplenty.
I have to do your reducing noise floor recomendation,  not that it is noisy,  but my 105 speakers need a little in
suarance, then add the teflon bypass then let it cook.......while looking out for reviews on beepree.......
Tony

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:49:33 AM
I sent Tony to VoltSecond's S5 Attenuator page.  

It is heavy reading for me too.  He is a real kick, in person.  We got together several times at VSAC 2008.  One lunch he was talking about noise suppression and drawing schematics on paper napkins.  I should have made them into a notebook.

You have an email, best remove it from the above post now.

Offline BNAL

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:58:41 AM
Here is a picture of the inside of my Extended Foreplay III. I changed the sweeter whispers with a logarithmic stepped attenuator and added an AC filter and the caps to lower the noise floor. It also uses the 6CG7 tubes.

I just put it back in the system after an extended period. I have an all digital setup and the DAC has a tube buffer and analog volume control, so did not see the need for it. It still sands so good, but need to decide if it is needed.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1278.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy504%2FBNAL%2Fforeplay__inside_zps02dcb686.jpg&hash=ad1174166178c9b09850191f9e9051643fe60389)

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Nutube

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 02:40:25 AM
thanks for sharing...that is great workmanship! and design!
I always enjoy seeing the variety of approaches derived from the original...this is fun
Can you share the sound  describtion of your new attenu
ation .....