Is the Garage1217 12AU7 to 6SN7 adapter plug and play?

Unclericky · 1946

Offline Unclericky

Hey everyone, sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't seem to find an answer to this...

I'm wondering if the Garage1217 12AU7 to 6SN7 is a plug and play like socket savers are? I hear 6SN7's are typically better than 12AU7's so curious to try it. Also, are there any risks of using the adapter because 6SN7's draw more power than 12AU7's don't they? Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline adeep42

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:16:55 AM
I'm using one and it is definitely plug and play.

Offline Unclericky

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:56:48 AM
Thank you!

Did you notice much of a difference? And is there increased hum/noise from the tube?

Offline tim273

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:33:24 PM
I have one of those too, and no noise whatsoever, I have a couple different 6SN7 tubes I used and no problems at all.  In terms of sound difference, I found that the power tube makes a just as much of a difference as the input tube.  I have a Tung-Sol Tall Bottle 6SN7 and a Sylvania "Bad Boy" Military Spec and they both sound great.  But I also have mine pared with a Western Electric 421 A which makes a HUGE difference in the quality of sound.

I also have a Telefunken 12AU7 and I would say they are all fairly similar with the WE 421A.

Offline adeep42

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 05:40:20 PM
unclericly, all I can say is that it sounds really good to me.

Offline tim273

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 10:38:50 AM
I hear 6SN7's are typically better than 12AU7's so curious to try it.

So I just listened with a Telefunken 12AU7 and then switched to a Tung Sol tall bottle 6SN7 and it seems like there more power and punch in the bass.  That's the biggest difference I noticed.  So are they "better"?  That's a matter of opinion.

Offline fromnowon

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 02:28:21 PM
I think it's cool that a simple adapter allows us to try a whole new type of tube in the Crack with no re-wiring.
(I didn't realize it)
I'm sure Doc or Paul would be chiming in if it were not ok to do this, and now I find some other threads.
Thanks for sharing that idea.

Offline Koop

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 05:59:33 PM
So I just listened with a Telefunken 12AU7 and then switched to a Tung Sol tall bottle 6SN7 and it seems like there more power and punch in the bass.  That's the biggest difference I noticed.  So are they "better"?  That's a matter of opinion.

I rolled in a 6SN7 and I really liked what I heard. Definitely more bass punch, wider sound, smooth treble. Cymbals still sounded crisp. Then I rolled back in my Gold Lion 12AU7 and I was like "WOW". Funny thing about all this , and what I've now accepted is that there is no best to my ears. I like what I like in the moment, and change it up once in a while for flavour.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 06:16:58 AM
what I've now accepted is that there is no best to my ears. I like what I like in the moment, and change it up once in a while for flavour.

“Not to understand a man’s purpose does not make him confused.”

- Master Po, Kung Fu

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tim273

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 06:28:13 AM
I've now accepted is that there is no best to my ears. I like what I like in the moment, and change it up once in a while for flavour.

Yep, I'm in that boat too, I just got a Mullard 12AU7 and really enjoy the slightly mellowed sound it provides.

Offline fromnowon

Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 02:21:49 PM
After reading this post, I decided to try the Garage 1217 adapter, been listening on and off this weekend, works perfectly in my non-speedball Crack, no noises at all - it's completely quiet like the 12AU7.  They shipped fast and the price was reasonable in my opinion for such a well-made adapter.  Great service from Garage 1217! 

Totally plug-and-play.  I love being able to try out the 6SN7s.