Bottlehead Kits > MonAmour

Amp Makes Thud When Switched On [resolved]

(1/2) > >>

RdDgWest:
The left amp when powering on makes a low level thud in the left speaker when turning on.  I did not notice this the first time I powered on the amps after the build.  I do not hear the thud when turning on the right amp.

Besides the low level thud everything sounds great and appears to my hears to be working.

Is there something I should be looking for on the circuit side of the left amp?

Paul Birkeland:
I would be more surprised that the other amp doesn't make more of a thud.  It's possible that if you swap 2A3s that this could follow a tube, as warmup behavior will be somewhat influenced by 2A3 operation, but this isn't something I'd lose sleep over.

RdDgWest:
I was going to swap the tubes between channels one at a time but wanted to mention this first. 
Let me try this this evening.
Thank you, Paul

RdDgWest:
I swapped both tubes one at a time between amplifiers.  It appears to stay with the amplifier and does not follow the tubes. 

Still not a worry about it situation? 

Paul Birkeland:
You might want to check over the solder joints of the amp that doesn't thump rather than the one that does thump.  Particularly the wires going to 5/10 of the output transformer, as well as all the 4 pin socket wiring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version