Taking orders :)

xcortes · 108651

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 07:45:40 AM
Is that the 10" X 12" layout like the Stereomour? Looks great! Any idea of the price point? If this is to be released in the summer sometime I'd like to budget a "bottlehead" category in my financial planning.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 07:53:14 AM
In this case one switch is for the DAC power supply and is intended to be left on between listening sessions to keep the circuit warmed up and sounding its best. The other is for the tube circuit so that one can shut the tubes off when not in use to extend their useful lifetime.

This is just a functional prototype and that's the kind of stuff that can change in the production prototype. There may be a few more switches added before we are done.

This chassis is 12 x 12 - subject to change also. Price is not yet determined. We have a slightly different design in the pipeline and will be comparing the two different prototypes around the end of the month. That will have some influence on size, pricing, layout, etc.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:56 AM
Early summer? You could deliver it personally!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Fridgebuzz

Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 07:52:36 PM

You don't need a switch to connect something that has low output impedance and decent drive to two easy to drive loads at once. Just use a Y cable or drill extra holes and install more jacks.

Thanks for answer.
I was thinking about a switch precisely to avoid Y cable ^^
I have a few month to think about a customisation for multiple outputs...

Have a nice day  :)

Offline GLF

Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 06:59:13 AM
In this case one switch is for the DAC power supply and is intended to be left on between listening sessions to keep the circuit warmed up and sounding its best. The other is for the tube circuit so that one can shut the tubes off when not in use to extend their useful lifetime.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Andrew

Andrew Krafthefer

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 04:27:34 PM
Good headway today. PB finished up the latest prototype and we got a few minutes of quite impressive sound. Two good steps forward besides sonics - the sample rate was being properly identified, and the TOSLINK connection was working perfectly, even with a rather recalcitrant Mac Mini that wouldn't talk to the previous iteration of the DAC without a reclock thru an external sound card.

Unfortunately some electronic component in our prototype power supply was fading out after a few minutes so we weren't able to do an extended listen. Staring at the sucker under the big magnifier on the lab bench for maybe 20 minutes convinced me that we needed to try the power supply we designed without it being connected to the DAC. Son of a gun, the negative rail was going south after a few minutes. Not exactly sure why, but it seems to be a filter cap issue. We have some new parts on order that should resolve the issue, and I will share our extended listening impressions as soon as we have the necessary adjustments completed.

In the few minutes that we were able to listen this afternoon there was definitely some magic happening. If you have heard the old proto, this is a step up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:40:30 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 04:54:30 PM
I like the phrases magic and impressive sound in the same post! Redbook rez?

Xavier Cortes

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 06:12:29 PM
I'm really looking forward to being able to play my 96K and 192K files via USB!  My library of hi rez tracks is growing and a DAC able to handle these is important. 

Offline johnsonad

Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 04:12:34 AM
Can you tell us what tubes you are considering in the output stage? We realize that it may change still.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:05 AM
Wow, sounds verry good and promising.  if you can get 24/192 via usb 2.0 out of the gate, then I'll be much more intersted.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 04:54:54 AM
Yes we were playing 44.1 files yesterday. Since we have a new board coming in about three weeks this prototype board is mostly just for working up our layout and was just set up for 44.1/48. The next one will be capable up to at least 192 and have USB2.0 in the basic configuration as well as SPDIF

At the moment we are using 6922s but that is subject to change as the chip we are looking at for the next board has different output requirements.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:19 AM
Very cool, I am looking forward to the final product

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline BNAL

Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 07:12:21 AM
I'm going to hold tight onlooking at other DACs and wait for the this one. I will start looking at a media server based on what Jim R has been doing.

Ok, now I have some time to look for a turntable.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline xcortes

Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 07:48:34 AM
Thanks for the answer. My Electrocompaniet emc1up just arrived. They build this transport starting from a Philips pro transport and taking care of vibrations "as if it was a turntable". Haven't seen her in the flesh but very soon. As I've said the simplicity of cds is paramount for me in this system. Having said that, in my experience, high rez is notably superior and someday I will add a server for the ever more recurrent late nights at the office.

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline dw

Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 08:59:08 AM
Will the DAC be able to handle DSD files natively?

Thanks,
Dave