Looking to upgrade my DAC

Rocketman248 · 4164

Offline Rocketman248

on: March 10, 2015, 04:37:11 AM
Currently, I'm running a Modi off of my computer and splitting it to a Crack and a S.E.X., and I'm looking to (eventually) upgrade to something a little more robust.  I've got a few more additions to the setup planned, and a new DAC will likely be the last thing I upgrade, but I'm trying to look ahead. 

I eventually plan on expanding to a speaker setup running off my computer and a CD player, so I'm looking for something with switchable inputs.  My budget is around $750-1000.  Thanks in advance.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline orson

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:08:46 PM
As there are still many DACs left within your needs it could be helpful to further specify what is important to you. What about balanced outputs? DSD-capability? Preferred sound signature? Does size matter? What inputs you need at all and which is the most used? Volume control needed? Remote control? Upgradeable?

Mac with Audirvana | Audio GD Reference 5.32 | Bottlehead Crack | Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:46 AM
Boy, it's like trying to order sides at a restaurant.  So many options!  Let's se...Balanced, no.  DSD, no.  Preferred sound signature, haven't quite figured that out yet.  Size doesn't really matter.  Most used will likely be USB.  No need for a volume control or a remote.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline orson

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:32:39 AM
I hope it is ok to point the TO to other products than the Bottlehead DAC as it is out of his budget.
Your preferences and budget are nearly the same as mine were (besides of balanced outputs) when I searched for a DAC 2 months ago.

After long research the following remained on my list:
- Resonessence Lab Concero
- Yulong DA8
- Schiit Gungnir
- Emotiva Stealth DC1
- Audio-GD Reference 5.32

Al least I chose the Audio-GD because of the high reputation of the maker KingWa and my preference for the PCM1704 chipset.
After 2 month of listening I am still happy with my decision and confident that the DAC is not the weakest link in my chain.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:51:05 PM by orson »

Mac with Audirvana | Audio GD Reference 5.32 | Bottlehead Crack | Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:14:08 AM
Thanks!  Yeah, unfortunately, the Bottlehead DAC is a bit out of my price range, but I already have several, and plan on ordering more, Bottlehead products.  So I don't feel too bad.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline STURMJ

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:11:37 AM
The Wadia 121 used to be outside your price range, but is now selling well inside it. Might be worth your consideration too.