is there something wrong if i got less than a 100 hours from d cell?

guf · 2525

Offline guf

The right channel started acting funny so i switched the d cells around and all was good for a few hours.  Then the left went out completely. I replaced the d batteries and alls good. I finished my build less than a month ago and I'm sure i don't have that many hours. Hard to believe there is more than 50. Is there a way to tell if the Ds are going before the 9v?

thanks

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
It might be that you have a cold solder joint, and that while changing the batteries, you just shifted things enough to re-establish electrical contact. Check your solder joints.

Offline guf

2 days ago my right channel input 2 inputs and output were a little shaky so i re soldered them all. All was good with the current battery. Then after listening for a few hours today one channel went out so i switched the batteries just to check, and it was fine for a few more hours, the started fading and then out.  I replaced both d's and with the new batteries its sounds way better.  Is it possible a bad solder joint could drain the battery quicker?  thanks for the reply i can also go back and check the joints them all again.

4krow

Guf,

Just saw your post tonight. Here is what I have to offer from reading about Quickie batteries. D cell batteries will 'go out' at a 1 volt output, maybe even a little higher. They will go out before the 9 volt pack. This is good partially because if you accidentally leave the Quickie on(and who hasn't), you will have only lost 2 D cells instead of ALL the batteries. Of course you will have taken significant life out of the 9 volt as well, but it will have maybe 50 hours left.
   In my opinion, a poor solder would cause MORE resistance, resulting in LESS battery drain, and of course degradation of sound because of insufficient voltage.
 Lastly, it is possible that  the connection of the D cell isn't good enough to make the contact it should. Maybe a weak spring, or even a little dirt can cause this. Remember, the cell is only capable of a lousy 1.5 volt or so, and just about anything can defeat it. Ever shake a flashlight and the beam gets brighter? You just made better contact allowing more electricity to reach the bulb.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
I went with rechargeables and found 9000mAh D cells and 300mah 9volts. That setup works just fine and long and I do not worry about battery usage anymore.

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline earwaxxer

Yep... 2+ to the above... FWIW - I am running my Wrd4snd link on battery and that sucker needs some serious amperage at 24/192. Combined 2 9V AA packs to do the job and charge them with my RC charger. Its all good... Many ways to skin the cat! (sorry cat lovers).

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Hear kitty kitty kitty  (pun intended)

Offline guf

funny this got bumped up because i just lost the right d cell again. Channel goes out i switch the left and right and then the left doesn't work. I replace then all is good. i have been running it a lot because i'm trying to break in the new caps. i also bought some rechargeables but using the normals first. Guess i can use them sooner. Thanks for the suggestions. I did recheck and re solder  when i installed the new caps. I should mention that one of the right inputs doesnt work, i didn't mind because i only use one. Could this have something to do with it?

Offline earwaxxer

That dont sound right? - I does, but it doesnt...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Yaaaah, I smells a rat.

Offline guf

Maybe this was the problem: I had the rotary dial wired at 10 and 11 for the A (right side) instead of 11 and 12. I realized maybe this was causing a constant draw in power from the d cell? Also, like i mentioned one of my inputs wasn't working and now it is. Only time will tell if the right channel d battery holds power longer.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Yes, that will place a constant drain on one D-cell battery, and half-normal drain on the 9V stack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man