Khozmo shunt stepped attenuator

DPetrini · 1935

Offline DPetrini

on: July 18, 2023, 11:43:34 PM
Have a khozmo 100k shunt stepped with vishay SMD resistors. The khozmo has amrg amtrans input resistor. I wonder if i should still keep the 33k resistors After the balance in the stereomour or not. Thanxs

Daniel
Good hand at solder , badhead in electronics

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 02:39:59 AM
The 33K resistors are part of the balance control, not "after" it. They make it act more like a pan-pot, maintaining total loudness while shifting the image from side to side.

That said, a shunt-mode control will have a variable input resistance - if the term is used in the usual way. (All these terms are used a little loosely!) In that case, the behavior of the balance control will change a little when the volume changes. Probably not enough to notice, just a technical detail.

p.s. What doess "amrg amtrans" mean?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 02:42:06 AM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline DPetrini

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 02:58:23 AM
Thanxs, amrg amtrans are boutique  resistors. I think they are carbon successors of riken

Correct the khozmo has variabile input resistance!

Will It be good then if i remove the balance pot? And if i do It shall i put any resistor Between the selector and the volume or Just a direct connection? The khozmo vishay smd has great Channel matching and keep the balance Will be a more compensating things than a real need
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 04:01:59 AM by DPetrini »

Daniel
Good hand at solder , badhead in electronics