Front panel designer - crack template

kingsun · 9165

Offline catfishstevens

Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 08:35:32 PM
No problem Doc.  My copy won't show up anywhere else either.  My favorite colors are black and gold and I'm terrible at using spray paint on aluminum, so since I already have all kinds of measurement equipment it was actually a fun little side project.

Anyone that wants this, it really isn't hard to do it yourself (and it is a DIY oriented product and community after all).  I have an engineering background but I think with some patience, a machinist's 6" ruler, and calipers, most people could at least do the Crack with good enough accuracy.  The software is almost too easy by CAD standards.  You don't have to get top of the line calipers for this either, there are some pretty decent calipers for as low as $30 or so on Amazon.  Besides, if you didn't already have calipers you'll never know how you got along without them anyway!

Anyway sorry to anyone that wants a copy but I won't share this publicly (or privately) per Doc's request.

Offline simondadiamond

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:24:20 PM
I would prefer that you do not post a file of a copy of our chassis panel on this forum.

Sorry Doc, did not mean to overstep boundaries. From research, years ago you thought about releasing the file and someone from PanelExpress actually offered colored panels seemingly with your consent. I am looking for a panel without volume pot , jack, RCA's or IEC power jack. Would be nice to try to order it at the same time as the crack instead of waiting for the panel to get here, me to take measurements etc. If there is any way for you to help out it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I will stop inquiring about it . Sorry for any trouble, I was led to believe this was acceptable.

Simon

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 05:35:51 PM
years ago you thought about releasing the file and someone from PanelExpress actually offered colored panels seemingly with your consent.
I set this up when I worked at Front Panel Express as a way for Crack customers to get anodized plates in custom colors.  Unfortunately, it ended up being the kind of thing where, much like you're asking, each order was far more complicated than just selecting the color and producing the plate. 

There is absolutely nothing stopping any Crack customer from downloading Front Panel Designer, or Cam Expert's software, drawing up a duplicate of the Crack panel, and ordering what they need.  This requires some basic understanding of how to take measurements, and maybe an hour or two of watching tutorials.  This is the spirit of DIY, give it a shot!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man