TAR FOAM?

Guest · 1660

4krow

on: July 05, 2013, 10:09:49 AM
  Kinda an accident really. Went into the lumber store to pick up some spray foam to seal around the house, etc. Don't normally use the stuff except when nothing else will do(it yellows and is destroyed by the sun unless you paint it, and it doesn't like paint that much). Ok, so saw a new product that is 'landscaping foam'. Of course, it's more expensive, but does not succumb to the sun's rays. It is nasty stuff, just what I like. I mention this because I'm convinced it may have purpose elsewhere. Couldn't come up with an idea, but it's just one of the products that seems to have potential. Ummm, definitely wear gloves!

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 10:13:46 AM
Well, I've found my nomination for the 2013 Random Comment of the Year Award...

;-)
Adam

4krow

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:17:15 AM
   You just wait 'till Earic reads this....He will know what to do.

Offline Armaegis

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 11:45:19 AM
Other uses? Like speaker filler or something?

Offline saildoctor

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:16:34 PM
That would be super useful for hunting dinosaurs!  Do you think it solidifies hard like the yellow stuff or gooey?

I get end cuts of epoxy/carbon battens (bars) at work all the time.  They're extraordinarily stiff!  I've been wondering if I should save them up and see if they would make good speaker cabinet bracing.  Maybe they would be too stiff? 

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline RayP

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:37:14 PM
Some of you might remember the horn speakers that I built that used the yellow stuff. Look at the write up and photos of the speaker competition at http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1917.msg24649.html#msg24649
about half way down.

The black stuff could be usable if it solidifies hard. The yellow stuff was not quite stiff enough. If I was ever allowed to build these monsters again I would look for some material that could be painted or sprayed on the inside of the cone that would harden and make the cones very stiff. I would then put the yellow stuff on the outside to stop the cone ringing and of course for the cosmetic beauty.

By the way, the tar stuff might smell or give off fumes that could possibly be dangerous in an enclosed environment.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:13:56 AM
Ok, It seems to me it could be used to damp an undercarriage or inside of a speaker.  The underside of a Bottlehead top plate, however very messy, or the underside of say my SACD player would be another place to use.  The SACD has a cheap stamped top/sides part that surely rings.  Damping is a good idea.  I have used putty and a weight in the past

How about sealing the crack at the bottom of my old garbage can? 

Kerry, from our visit to the Le Brea tar pits it would be ideal for catching the "Stupid" wolf.  Our nick name for a wolf that was a 10 to 1 most often found animal in the tar pits there.  I don't remember the real name now.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:14:32 AM
Hey Greg, I was thinking you could fill your pants with it! Great for parties, or just relaxin with the missis, watching a movie!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 05:15:55 AM
Greg has been waiting for you to respond with baited breath.  Not that you did I'm not so sure he is happy.

4krow

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 07:06:19 AM
  Earic,

I just have to say, I'm disappointed,,,and hurt. And how do you know about my pants?

Ray, That's just the kind of imaginative stuff that I'm talking about. Very interesting idea that you had there. The black foam hardens about the same as the yellow, it's just not going to degrade from sunlight. I knew that one of you guys probably had experimented with it.