Boy I was wrong!

xcortes · 2163

Offline xcortes

on: October 13, 2011, 05:17:48 AM
Never thought a system could sound better than mine (and I've heard some).

In the past days I've been working on preparing the Soft start retrofits for my 2A3 Paramounts. Yesterday I fired the first two (I use six Paramounts, three per channel). So I was able to play a mono record sans tweeter. This is an amazing upgrade. The last trace of hi-fi sound is gone (I'm not sure the change would satisfy many audiophiles though -and that's a good thing-).

I hate "destroying" a perfectly good and nice sounding amp to install an upgrade. Particularly since I run the risk of messing up. The first two fired up perfectly, though! Still I

Xavier Cortes

Offline John Roman

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:47:39 AM
How does your system sound now. Man, six amps....that's just cool. How do the Paramount's handle the low frequencies? I currently cross passively at 250 hz. You?

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:58 AM
Hi John,

I think it sounds awesome. Actually my horns don't go lower than 80 hz. Please let me refer you to a couple of recent posts of mine in another thread to avoid double posting:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1251.msg17697.html#msg17697

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1251.msg17700.html#msg17700

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:22 AM
We're getting down pretty solidly into the 30s with Paramounts on 7" woofers in vented boxes in my system. The boxes are tuned for the damping factor of an SE amp, and we are also experimenting with running the output balanced, which may possibly improve the bass somewhat.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.