6DJ8 vs. 6922?

Brooklynbottle · 163

Offline Brooklynbottle

on: April 19, 2024, 06:13:01 AM
Greetings.
I'm really enjoying my Eros 2 now that I've gone over my work and have it up and running. This phono stage has me digging out vinyl I haven't listened to in years!
As an avid tube roller, I've dug around the forum to find that the 6DJ8 is just OK in place if the provided 6922. I'm wondering if there is any substantial benefit to going premium/NOS with that valve? How about the AU position?
I've read reports that reasonably upgrading the EF86's yield some interesting results.
I've also read here about the potential for obsessive pursuit of the "perfect" 6922.
Would really appreciate the current perspective of those who have been there, and done that.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 07:06:13 AM
The 12AU7 would definitely be last on my list of upgrades for an Eros.  Finding some nice EF86s is a great idea!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockpassion

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 03:15:30 PM
I switched over to a premium 6DJ8 and was very surprised at how much better it was.  I believe the manufacturer was Telefunken. 

The presentation was much clearer.  It provided a much better soundstage, better delineation of instruments, it is more musical and really fun to listen to.  It raised my system to a new level.  I would say if you do one thing on your Eros buy a top notch 6DJ8.

Good luck and happy listening.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Brooklynbottle

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 04:01:36 AM
I just picked up an Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 that didn't break the bank to try out.
I also just installed the Sowter SUT's so I'll get a sense of how the MC/SUT situation sounds and then add the Amperex to the mix.
I've also got the cord kit ready to assemble.
So many options for improving an already great product.
Thanks for sharing your experience.