Bottlehead Kits > S.E.X. Kit

S.E.X. 2.1 Retired!

<< < (2/5) > >>

tdogzthmn:

--- Quote from: Doc B. on May 07, 2016, 09:34:11 AM ---My thought is that it might be pretty cool if you had 600 ohm speakers. For 8 ohm speakers, what I would do would not be very practical.

--- End quote ---

I've built and enjoyed the Crack a few years ago with my 600 ohm AKG's but I also know there are some manufacturers that make OTL Tube amps designed to work with speakers.  I can't comment about the efficiency differences between designs (OTL vs SET), I just know it has been done before.  Mostly I was wondering if it was something you had explored previously and abandoned? 

Paul Joppa:
I have considered how to do that periodically, and always came back to the same point - it's just not practical without using a push-pull topology with lots of feedback.

Example: if the Crack works well into 600 ohms, then 75 paralleled cracks should work equally well into 8 ohms. But it's still a cathode follower, which means there is still some negative feedback sound. And it would consume 2 to 3 kilowatts, producing maybe 20 watts.

That's a crude analysis, and could probably be improved - but not dramatically.

Jim R.:
I have always found it interesting that an awful lot of people with OTL speaker amps use impedance matching autoformers with their amps. If you have as warped a sense of humor as I do, you'll see the supreme irony in this :-).

Brent:
Jim,

I have observed the same with some amusement. It's like the ingredients list on a slim Jim, which includes both 'defatted beef' and 'beef fat.'  It's just weird. But whatever floats your boat. I'm sure I do plenty of things other people think is pointless or wrong.  :)

Brent

Paul Birkeland:

--- Quote from: Jim R. on May 08, 2016, 04:55:02 AM ---I have always found it interesting that an awful lot of people with OTL speaker amps use impedance matching autoformers with their amps. If you have as warped a sense of humor as I do, you'll see the supreme irony in this :-).

--- End quote ---
Yeah, god forbid that you tell that they no longer have an OTL amp, you'll cause a miniature meltdown on whatever forum you happen to be on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version