Thumbs Up for 12BH7 in Crack

Dr. Toobz · 3918

Offline Dr. Toobz

on: September 30, 2010, 03:32:01 PM
Today, I switched to a new-production 12BH7 in the Crack driver socket, and really like what I hear. The tube is much "bigger" sounding, in terms of soundstage and bass, and sounds like a veil has been lifted in comparison to the 12AU7 (actually, 5963) in there earlier. I picked one up from the Tube Store when ordering some other things - $13.95 is a cheap risk - and I ordered the "regular" EH 12BH7, not the fancy gold-pinned one. Who knows, maybe an NOS tube would be even better....

FYI, part of the great sound is probably attributable to other recent changes - for example, the Speedball upgrade and two humongous Dayton 100uF film capacitors instead of the electrolytics. The power triode is a Russian 6N13S (6AS7G). Headphones are Sennheiser HD650, which are finally starting to break in (maybe 100 hours on them?). The caps, CCS boards, and new tube haven't broken in yet, of course, but I can only imagine that things will sound even better with time! The Crack is quite a headphone amp - my new reference setup by far.

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:23:37 AM
Great info! I'll have to give one a shot.

If you'd like to lift another veil, you should try replacing the potentiometer. A DACT works really well in the unit, and a cheaper Chinese stepper would still make a notable difference I'd imagine.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline levlhed

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:38:18 AM
Yep, I rotate in a GE 12BH7 for variety.  It's got great lush highs.  I'd be curious to compare to a new production.

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline shanman

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:53:06 AM
Recently tried a CBS Hytron 12BH7 and was pleasantly surprised by an enhanced soundstage, dynamics and definition when compared to the 5814.  Bass is solid and well recorded instruments and vocals (i.e. Allison Kraus) provide a holographic presentation. Still the sound is somewhat "forward" and I'm thinking the questionable linearity of the 6AS7G may be the cause.  

I'm considering rolling in a 6BX7 for the output (trading output impedence for linearity) and was hoping someone might have some first hand results with this tube.

Update: Tried a 6BL7GTA but increased impedence results in less base.  Suspect a White's Cathode Follower would help alot, but I'm not motivated to revise circuit.  For what it's worth.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:37:13 PM by shanman »