Blumenstein and Stereomour

thdewitt · 8410

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 01:30:36 PM
It's very subjective. I like the Mullard CV4024.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 05:01:54 AM
Yes, When I adjust the sub gain to the 10 O'Clock position recommended by Clark the hum is minimized but still slightly audible. 

How is that sub level when you listen?  I would wonder if the level might be a little high for your space. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline thdewitt

Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 05:55:08 PM
How is that sub level when you listen?  I would wonder if the level might be a little high for your space. 

I think I have the sub level now in a good place.  Slightly less than 10 O'clock.  Sounds just right to me.  Like I said, the hum is now only slightly audible and seems to be getting better.  I have ordered a new pair of JJ 2a3-40 tubes and a mullard nos CV4024.  I am hoping this may also help a little. 

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo

Offline thdewitt

Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 02:10:41 PM
OK, for those who are interested, my Blumenstein Dungeness Subwoofer is now absolutely quiet.  I took DocB's advice and I changed my setup by modifying the submissive to have two RCA outputs.  I hooked one up to the Sub and absolutely quiet even if I turn the gain up as fair as it will go on the sub.  So now the Stereomour, Submissive, and  Blemenstien Orca Deluxe/Dungeness are awesome.

I am not sure why, but the whole system sounds way better this way.  The Orcas seem to sound better this way.  Not sure what is going one but using the line level input seems to solve all my issues.

I am in Heaven.

Thanks everyone.

BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 02:41:01 PM
You are no longer amplifying the residual noise floor of the Stereomour with the Dungeness amp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline thdewitt

Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 02:56:13 PM
Yes, Doc, that is it!!!!!   Also, today I received my new JJ 2a3's and my Mullard CV 4024.  Man are these JJ's huge.  The sound with everything is great.  Looking forward to buying my next few items.   Paramounts and a Beepree hopefully.

Thanks again,
Tom

BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B

Offline Grainger49

Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 03:25:18 PM
I'd give this a try with my setup but I might just lose my mind trying to dial in the Dungeness subs again.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 02:04:56 PM
I'd give this a try with my setup but I might just lose my mind trying to dial in the Dungeness subs again.

Grainger, YMMV.  I am not sure if everyone needs to hop off the bandwagon of the way we recommend hooking up the sub amps via speaker wire by switching their whole systems around to RCA hookups.  Doc, Paul and I might differ on this one.  While the RCA signal splitting solution helped out Tom's situation with his noisy stereomour, I've heard RCA splitting practices distort the sound in mine and others' systems, whenever the pre amp section is not up to the task. 

For instance, the sound of the Fix kit inserted into my systems did not work for me and the Orcas, but other folks with other rooms and systems seemed to find more of an improvement.  YMMV.  So, similarly, RCA splitting should be chosen in accordance with personal priorities in performance.

I usually do not try to get my tube amps noise free, personally, I focus most system changes on trying to get better dynamics and natural tonality out of the speaker drivers and source as a raw, unadulturated ingredients.  My Paramounts into Orcas on the desktop do have a little noise in them, for instance, but this is ok as soon as the music is playing.  The SEX amp on the other hand, is truly hum/noise free btw, but uses a different kind of power triode thats less susceptible to all sorts of noise.  I personally (perhaps esoterically) prefer the dynamics of the Paramounts into the Orcas even on the desktop so I put up with the truly miniscule hiss/hum and the potential risk of gently bottoming out the cone with the extra power.  A very small trade off that's easy to deal with for me personally.  But other folks might think differently and that's ok.

-Clark

Offline thdewitt

Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 02:49:34 PM
Clark, cool post.  I can tell you for me, the difference is amazing. 

If you are ever in San Diego and have a few minutes, you should come buy and take a listen.  I would love to have you listen to this set up.  You are right that these speakers in my 11x9 room is amazing.  It seems to be getting better every day. 

I dont understand your post though.  If you output the signal directly to the subwoofer with the great volume control in the submissive, you basically have the signal going clean to the amplifier in the sub.  Then you don't amplify the noise (if any) from the the Tube Amplifier for the bass signals.

How could it get any better through the Tube amplifier to be further amplified by the solid state amplifier in the Subwoofer??

Not trying to act like I know anything, because i don't, just wondering what your response is.

BTW, I keep you picture over the speakers in my office so I can tell everyone about your speakers when they ask
(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38833957/2014-06-23%2017.47.20.jpg)

BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B

Offline Grainger49

Reply #39 on: June 24, 2014, 01:09:03 AM
Clark,

I might have been unclear about my comment.  It was mainly tongue in cheek.

I am the weak link here.  The Orcas and Dungeness are great products.  I am compulsive and went wild dialing back and fourth on the level and crossover. 

I ended up at your suggested settings after putting the Dungeness on the floor next to the Orca stands.

The flaw is in the user not the speakers.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 07:13:49 AM
Tom, thanks man!  I love the look of your system!

back to the sub hookups, I do get the theory of less distortion from not re-amplifying the amplifier's noise, but in practice, things can sometimes shake out differently.

In my opinion, debating RCA or speaker level hookup styles to avoid re-amplifying a noisy stereomour might just be...still ignoring the noisy stereomour.  (Or dungeness amp?)  who knows?

The reason I mention this is that usually, I notice very little difference between RCA hookups and speaker level hookups in most of my systems.  Often, I ever so slightly prefer the speaker level hookups, or RCA's, or am somewhat indifferent.  but the discrepancy between the two is usually not huge like you are saying about the RCA hookups in your system.  Now, maybe the double outputted Submissive is just that good, and I'll try it out in my own system soon to confirm.  But my stereomour on the other hand is dead dog quiet, which is why I am thinking it might be something different than the simple benefit of RCA or speaker level hookups.  The "noise" might be the problem, not the amplification. 

Generally, our company mantra is "speaker level" for a variety of reasons, practicality included.  (Many of our customers are using integrated amps/receivers w/o any rca hookup potential).  Practicality is important because we want to spread this gear (and therefore enjoyment of music) to an ever widening audience.  And even in an increasing amount of "wireless" gear, wired still sounds arguably better, and is the only practical way of using physically microphonic tube amplifiers...outside of the speaker box!  Its all easy to use, sounds great, and lasts a lifetime, and is never obsolete because its whole purpose is being fundamentally purist gear.

But back to the RCA splitting distortion I was discussing earlier:  Bottlehead preamps with proper dual RCA outputs like the beepree, foreplay, and your properly modified submissive are a definite and huge step up over the typical rca "y splitters," from radio shack, but you can still sometimes hear a slight effect on the signal from the extra set of cables being hooked up, and other factors like different lengths/types of RCA cables also still seems to matter.   In other words, there is probably no free lunch but the differences are minor when RCA level crossovers and such are properly set up

I should also say that our company structures are a little different.  This is Bottlehead's forum.  And we usually work out the troubleshooting on our products one on one by email or phone before it becomes a multi theoried forum thread.  Information and misinformation about all this stuff can quickly become overwhelming for others, especially beginners, to read and perhaps get confused by all the seeming choices/quirks of tube equipment and single drivers.  But it was impossible to see that potential complexity before posting so truly no worries. 

Basically, Doc, PB, and I are all recommending different solutions to your problem.  I don't have a problem with that, but people looking from the outside in, who might just be getting into this stuff, are probably more than a little confused by the jargon and conflicting theories by now. 

While we do not "generally" recommend RCA hookups into Dungeness because of equal parts "it does not/should not matter much," assuming optimal health of components upstream, there is nothing expressly wrong with it.  If it works it works.  But speaker level hookups are often easier for folks to understand in terms of how to physically get the "mess of wires and drivers" to work.  expanding this conversation's scope to the rest of the audio industry, everyone has their preferred method.  That's part of the richness of this hobby!

So - I am not by any means "anti-RCA" level tone controls, crossovers, volume controls, etc. I am merely presenting them as potential variables to be assessed in terms of individual "component health"  in the hollistic system you are troubleshooting. 

I'd love to see more audiophile/minimalist/simple RCA line level 40-180hz crossover/biamplification products on the market, for instance.  mmmmm... tube bass!  But admittably, active crossovered, bi amped, SET tube will most often be for the purists (like us, who are regulars on this forum) who probably already have a few different tube amps around and are looking to put them to good use.

But in the same stroke we want to keep the product's presentation simple for the reason that for beginners, penetrating all the way through this mumbo jumbo audio lingo is tough and most folks just want to know that our speakers sound good, make bass, with Bottlehead gear.  And as your data point and my data point, and other pleased folks on this forum confirm, that is the truth!

Thanks,

Clark
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:42:45 PM by Clark B. »