Just finished my Stereomour

crooner12 · 1957

Offline crooner12

• My YouTube Channel
on: December 25, 2012, 04:07:22 PM
After a few days, I finally finished the amp. Everything seems to work fine. Incredibly, all of my measurements were well within the 10-15% tolerance.

The only interesting measurements were terminals 4 and 12, where the voltages were 11.7 and 13.4, respectively. Any thoughts on why these might be off when everything else was within spec?

Listening test is next...

Mark
Current projects: Stereomour

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 04:32:02 PM
T4 and T12 are conected to the 2A3 grid through the small 200 ohm resistors. A small leakage current will flow through those resistors. 12 volts is too much, but 12mV is not.  :^)  If it's really 12 volts, let it burn in for a few hours and check again.

Paul Joppa

Offline crooner12

• My YouTube Channel
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 06:13:21 AM
@Paul Thanks for the info! I'll try to let it burn in later tonight. Just need to get speaker wire. Does the amp need to be connected to speakers or a source when powered on? I've read instructions on other tube amps that advised against running a tube amp without being connected to speakers.

Also, A3 and C3 seem a little higher than normal (0). Perhaps this also needs some time to burn in?

Just for fun, here are the rest of my voltage measurements at each terminal:

1: 368
2: 232
3: 0
4: 11.7
5: 59.3
6 - 10: 0
11: 61.3
12: 13.4
13: 0
14: 226
15: 366
16: 59.4
17: 397
18: 0
19: 396
20: 61.3

Four pin socket

A1: 60
A2: 368
A3: 14.2
A4: 59.8
C1: 61.8
C2: 366
C3: 14.6
C4: 61.9

Active load PC board
IA: 396
IB: 396
OA: 233
OB: 226
kreg (both): 2.49
-reg (both): 0

Mark

Offline crooner12

• My YouTube Channel
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 06:27:07 AM
In addition, I want to echo what others have said in that this kit is a lot of fun to build and the instructions are excellent and easy to follow for a novice amp builder like myself.

I only had a few issues, but they were easily resolved:

1. Two pairs of resistors were missing so Eileen promptly sent them to me via priority mail :)
2. There wasn't enough red wire in the kit, so I had to use some leftover black wire instead...no biggie
3. I didn't realize that the ceramic tube sockets for the 2A3's had different size holes, so when I initially installed them, I put the C socket 180 degrees backwards. After spending 10 minutes wondering why the tube wouldn't fit, I realized my mistake and, to my embarrassment, had to undo, rotate, and re-solder that tube socket. I'd suggest mentioning this difference in the next iteration of the manual.
4. I felt the wire lengths were a bit too generous, so oftentimes I had to re-cut them so the installation would be tight and not sloppy with too much slack in the wires. Although, I can see how this might be a good thing for those who plan on modding the kit after it's built.

I'll also post a link to my blog where I've uploaded some pics and perhaps upload a video to YouTube when everything is hooked up and running!

Mark

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 05:22:59 PM
A3 and C3 are the grids mentioned in my earlier post. I expect you are measuring 0.014 volts, not 14 volts - if it's an auto-ranging meter, the m for millivolts is often not obvious on the display. I have this suspicion because the other A and C socket voltages are extremely close to what they should be.

It does not matter whether a speaker or other load is connected. Pentode amps are sensitive to there being load, and high-feedback amps are also, but triodes without feedback such as the Stereomour are not.

Paul Joppa

Offline crooner12

• My YouTube Channel
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:28:16 AM
Finally got to updating my tumblr blog, so here's a link for more Stereomour build pics, an unedited first-listening test video, and a quick (and totally not apples-to-apples) comparison to my B&W MM-1 speakers.

http://krakleandpop.tumblr.com/

My next project will be experimenting with different tube circuits to see what the sonic differences are. I want to understand the theory behind the tubes and design and acquired a dozen or so 50's and 60's textbooks on the subject.

I'm so glad I decided to build the Stereomour. This has been a very fun learning experience, but I'm ready to take it to the next level!

Mark