Bottlehead Kits > Eros Phono

Eros 2 questions [resolved]

<< < (6/7) > >>

tmills:
Just put together the Bottlehead power cord kit. My Eros is still burning in but the new power cord seems to make certain things a little clearer. Especially drum hits, cymbals etc.
Nice cord. Recommended.

tmills:
Hey Guys

Looking for some advice on purchasing some serious tubes for the Eros 2. Want to spend between $400 - $500. Listen to mostly rock music and like a warmish tone. Some of these new pressings are pretty bright sounding.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

maryc27182:
I am using GEC CV4085 (the military version of the Genalex Z729) and a USN-CEP Amperex 7308.

I had better luck finding somewhat reasonable prices for the GEC CV4085 from sellers in the UK (ValveTubes worked well for me--I did not spend anywhere near $200 per tube, but I bought mine over 5 years ago) and I got the 7308 from a guy in Southern California who sells on USAudiomart.

Tubemonger sometimes has the flying leads version of the CV4085, which they fit onto bakelite bases, but I think they have been out of stock for a while. When they are in stock, they are relatively reasonable in price.

Mary

Larpy:
I use the Mullard CV4085 tubes from Tubemonger that Mary mentioned.  I also have a pair of Mazda (France) EF86 tubes that sound warmish.  I've liked all the Philips family of tubes (Mullard, Bugle Boy, Mazda) I've tried.  The Valvo EF86 sounds very clear but also bright, so I'd stay away from them.

Telefunkens might strain your budget, but they're said to be excellent.  Tubemonger had some last I was on their site.

for the 6922 slot, I'm happy with a Amperex Holland 7308.  I haven't heard them, but I bet the Mullard CV4109 that Tubemonger sells is worth considering.

tmills:
Thanks for the advice. I will check into all suggested and let you know which ones I went with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version