Quickie 1.1 switch part number

mcandmar · 1516

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
on: December 14, 2013, 09:46:02 AM
Can somebody point me to a datasheet for the Quickie switch as i'm trying to work out the various positions do?

The switch has 10 positions and i cant figure out which is off :-[

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:36:35 PM
The switch has 10 positions and i cant figure out which is off :-[

The switch is meant to have 3 positions.  There is a washer with a little tab bent out that sets the number of stops, it should be set to "3". 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:41:15 PM
Aha, i remember that washer as it fell off and i stuck it back in without really looking at it. ...will fix that now.

Thanks,

Mark

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:54:43 PM
Aha, i remember that washer as it fell off and i stuck it back in without really looking at it. ...will fix that now.

If it's in hole 10, then your first, fourth, seventh, and tenth positions will all be off ;)

FWIW, we have tweaked the manuals that use these switches to include instructions on checking these settings, as the newest generation seems to have a little extra space that lets this washer pop out.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mcandmar

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:16:58 PM
Yeah my first instinct was to remove the nut and turn it upside down to get all the washers off, that's when i noticed the notched one.  I just assume it was to stop the washer rotating and stuck it on again.

I've managed to get the switch lifted enough to rotate the washer by unsoldering the four RCA input wires.  Found every position but the three pole so far ::)

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:26:25 PM
You have to turn the switch all the way CCW without the tabbed washer in the switch (gets you to step 1, prevents you from stopping against the tabbed washer), then I believe the tab goes in the second hole clockwise from the gap.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mcandmar

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 02:27:53 PM
Sorted, thanks Paul.  At least i know when its off now, i still still find it freaky that it dosent produce any heat, its like a reptile!

Good idea on the manual update re that washer.  If you are making changes i have a few suggestions,

-Page 18, the part where joining the two output RCA grounds together, add a do not solder to the end of the sentence.

PJCCS Manual

Page 8, the proceed to Page 9 or Page 20 needs to be in flashing neon for numpties like me, i followed the 1.0 section until i got to the install in page 15. ...i know my fault but i suggest you add a heading on the top of Page 9 stating the section is assembly instructions for the original quickly only. Same for install guide on Page 15.

Page 14, wire lengths are missing, and metric measurement for the black one (101mm).
Page 24, After removing the two 4.02k resistors, add a note to re-solder the caps onto terminal 1U and 6U. (assuming you unsoldered the resistors instead of snipping them off)
Page 24, When you remove the power feed on 2L, you could also add a note to remove the jumper cable from 2L to 7L.

M.McCandless