Brimar 6BR7 and the Eros

Paully · 14562

Offline Paully

on: April 27, 2010, 04:30:02 AM
Since I have my soon to be stash coming I thought I would put this out there.  The 6BR7 and the Eros are really nice, I have really, really enjoyed this tube.  It does require a pin-out change or you can order a nice adapter from [email protected] for $30, which is what I did.  Custom made and he did a great job.  This is really in the spirit of Bottlehead experimentation and fun, not necessarily Bottlehead frugality since the tubes cost $10 each, plus the adapter if you don

Offline levlhed

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:27:07 AM
So, through an interesting twist of fate I will have an Eros in my possession some time in the near future.  As it is actually being built now by Shawn I've been exploring tube options...

I wonder what the opinion is of having him just wire it for 6BR7 right out the gate and save me from having to spend $$$ on a primo EF86?

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Paully

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:54:13 AM
That is just one of those things that you have to hear for yourself and then decide.  I experimented with various EF86 but I never did go hog wild and buy the truly expensive premium tubes so I can't say the 6BR7 is better or even equal to those tubes.  When I compared the Brimar 6BR7 to various other EF86 in the same price range I liked them though I have to admit that the cheap pre-1970's Russian EF86 were also very, very good.  But ultimately I switched my amp over permanently and am no longer using adapters because I like the tube.  Sorry, that is all the help I can offer, I wouldn't want to tell you more than I think I know.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:15:20 AM
Changing to the 6BR7 is a fine idea and in the spirit of experimentation as Paully suggests. However for us to be able to warranty our assembled kits we have to build them in stock configuration with stock components, and any products sent back to us for warranty work would have to be in stock condition. So this would be a good experiment to try yourself after you get the preamp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:20:47 AM
If you don't feel like making the switch I will do it if you pay sipping both ways.  I was there when Paully swapped his and gave him the tube pin changes.  

This is not to say that I am disrespecting Doc's statement. Bottlehead supports their kits so far beyond any kit seller I have ever seen; it is overboard.  They bend over backward for their customers.  So if you are interested and don't want to do it yourself I'm game.

So, through an interesting twist of fate I will have an Eros in my possession some time in the near future.  As it is actually being built now by Shawn I've been exploring tube options...

I wonder what the opinion is of having him just wire it for 6BR7 right out the gate and save me from having to spend $$$ on a primo EF86?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:32:06 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline levlhed

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:22:07 AM
Alrighty, I'll likely just leave it stock for awhile then if not for good.  I've got some mad decent 6922/variants in my small pile and I know I've got a nice GE 12BH7 that I can roll in after some burn in time.
I'll have to hold off on the EF86 spot until the audiophool coffer replenishes itself which at this point is going to take awhile (finally getting back out to Burning Man this year, which is not an insignificant wallet drain!)

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Paully

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:28:11 AM
If you want to try the 6BR7 out, get a pair and if you pay shipping and handling back and forth you are welcome to borrow my adapters.

Paul

Offline levlhed

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:56:48 AM
Thanks
Why a pair?  Doesn't the Eros just use one?

Offline Paully

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:39:33 PM
Tube complement:

1 - 12BH7
1 - 6922
2 - EF86/6BR7

Offline levlhed

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:41:17 AM
2! ouch.  It's going to take me twice as long to upgrade those then.
What's funny is I never noticed the tube right in front of the transformer in the pic on the main product page.