Risky Move!

RGartner · 1650

Offline RGartner

on: September 02, 2014, 07:53:03 AM
I know this is a risky move to show my ignorance but here goes. I put together the crack headphone amp a year ago, it was a lot of fun and I use it almost everyday but my one regret is, even after putting it together properly, I don't really understand how it works.

I just bought the reduction kit and want to take more steps to understand how it actually works instead of blindly soldering. I see in the instructions the completed kit and tried to draw up my thoughts of how it works here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s91/sh/7d2a3224-08e3-43d9-80d0-86db14141451/602d79ef09ebaf8a017ffe65dfde9e4a

The power section in my mind seems sorta obvious (hopefully :)), a small understanding that the tubes amplify the sound but how the RIAA stuff works is a mystery.

I do have a basic electricity book and some other audio circuit books but to be honest they are a little advanced for this newbie. Anyone have thoughts on how to best learn to understand how this type of circuit works?

Learn what each component does and follow through the schematics? Other books that start from a more simplified view point?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

-Richard Gartner

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:07:06 AM
Hi I found this guys tutorials and explanation quiet helpful I was struggling with the concept of reverse biasing of diodes and rectification of ac to dc. The video below helped me grasp what was happening there is a nice little circuit example about 22 in minutes using leds.  Lots of other info but you need to dig for it.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline RGartner

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:13:49 AM
Thanks  JamieMcC, good stuff! I watched the video at lunch, very informative. Thanks for the information.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:38:21 AM
I think the best place to start in terms of understanding RIAA filters would be to do some DIY speaker building.  It will get you some basic understanding of signal filtering. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline RGartner

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:15:04 PM
Thanks Caucasian Blackplate, Ill take a look there as well.

-RG