Quick impression of quickie without PJCCS

madbrayniak · 2004

Offline madbrayniak

on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:24 AM
Now that I have this up and running I thought I would give a quick impression

I am going ipod>quickie>Adcom 6000>JBL 120Ti

I have a wide range of taste in music ranging from frank sinatra, beatles, and eagles to metalicca and dragoforce and one of my favorite songs to test things out is "Nothing Else Matters" from Apocoliptica's Inquisition Symphony....this is a orchestra version of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" that sends chills every time I listen to it.

However on that same track now I feel like I hear the indivual strings on the violin in that song....amazing. 

Piano in some other songs sound much more presant that I ever expected and then finally I feel like I have had a lap dance from Frank Sinatra now and rather violated by how good he sounded with this cheap little preamp.....

Me and my wife danced to "Fly Me To The Moon" at our wedding and when she sat down to listen to it she even came to tears....sounded that good!

When my father in law takes back his Adcom I hope to get a Stereomour followed by either a TT or some of those frugal-horns!

Offline Cary

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:19:24 AM
The Quickie is nothing short of fantastic, and for only $100.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:09:51 PM
I second all positive thoughts on the Quickie. The take home from the Quickie experiment is that one can learn how these magical tubes/circuits work. Of course the more you learn the more you want to tinker! PJCCS, chokes, various cap and resistor tweaks. Its an exciting look into our electronic past. Thankfully it is not an extinct past. Bottlehead has opened up an opportunity for the average person to enjoy tube amplification.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 05:37:31 PM
However on that same track now I feel like I hear the indivual strings on the violin in that song....amazing. 

That was the very first thing I noticed when I fired up the Quickie the first time. The amount of detail was amazing, all from a preamp using batteries and a couple of walkie-talkie/Ham radio tubes. I think you will be happy when you get the PJCCS installed. I put a Khozmo 48 step attenuator in mine, (pulled from an old project), just for the heck of it. Figured I would pull it and use it in the Smack or Stereomour, whichever is next. Nope, it is staying in the Quickie, I will have to buy another.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore