What I wish:

Reap · 2393

Offline Reap

on: January 13, 2014, 03:51:05 AM
I just built a pair of Paramounts and love them. I run my entire home theater system thru them via a Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver that has preouts. What I really wish is that the PreBee had connections to hook the flat screen to it, an iPod docking station, an RAII circuit with phono inputs, an AM/FM tuner section, and a wireless remote. I know this is asking way too much. But what are my reasonable options? I would really love to build this preamp, but it also would have to wait another year or two.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:12:55 AM
Depends on your "hacking" skills.  The iPod doc and wireless remote aren't hard to add, layout and power would be a concern, added noise from the attenuator motor...  the RIAA circuit would be the next step up the ladder in modding; off the top of my head, this would have to be in a separate box for sound quality.  The AM/FM, not going to happen, you could just use the app in the iPod for radio.

Brighter minds will chime in, do a search and you'll see the answers on a tuner kit.  The BeePre looks pretty full, the remote motor and dock power could be added vertically with a power brick connection on the back of the base. 

I don't think you can DIY a full receiver, but most of the functions can be done.  It would be a compromise...

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:53:53 AM
But what are my reasonable options?

Most of what you listed can be built a la carte.

(How/why would you want to wire the flat screen to it?)

The size, cost, and support limitations all prevent us from offering something this complicated. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Reap

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:01:21 AM
My flat screen is hooked up to the Paramounts right now. I would not build something this awesome then let it collect dust. You should have heard the Seahawks game thru them.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:13:50 AM
Well, you can wire the analog output of a TV to the BeePre/Paramounts. 

A lot of TV's will also split out the digital audio feed from the HDMI cable, which you can then route to a 5.1 processor, then to your Paramounts. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Reap

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:21:21 AM
Yeah, I figure I have at least a year to work this puzzle. And I may never do anything different either. I am very please with the sound. The only problem is that I like a good problem to solve. Electronic design isn't my forte and I know it. But I do pretty well on soldering and following instructions. System design, that's the issue here and I like it.

Am I really the unusual person with a tube amp connected to a TV though? I kind of thought that most would do this. And I cannot imagine why you would not. I've never cared for 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems. I was born with 2 ears and I only need a speaker for each one. If someone has to do some sound field processing to make me believe something that is not as it sounds, well, I figure they're just trying to compensate for some other short comings. Just give me something simple that works as designed. My ears know artificial when they hear it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:22 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, taking a 5.1 signal and getting it back into a 2 channel format often doesn't work so well. 

There are plenty of folks out there using BH amps with their TV's.

-PB
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:53:29 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Reap

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:44:13 AM
Oh, it's not working poorly at all. I'm using the 2 main channels. I just think it might be able to sound better.

Offline mpeg2

Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:36:58 AM
Muck around with the configuration menu on your TV - many provide for downmixing the 5.1 to stereo for the analog output (and they do a pretty good job of it)...

Rich

Offline Reap

Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:07:51 AM
Already did that. But thanks!  8)

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:38:24 PM
I am using the OPPO BD 95 player, BH linestage, 2A3 amp, and Orca/BUF Subs for my video watching. Real nice on Public Broadcasting and some BlueRays.

Cheers, Hank

Offline Reap

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 02:32:50 AM
Well, the necessity of the preamp to have an iPod docking station has been eliminated. My PS3 is much more valuable then I realized before. It is now networked with my computer and will play the music from it. Score one for my other online friends for this suggestion.