Obbligato.. Solen.. or Mundorf MKP? 250v or 400v?

matthewmckay · 20998

Offline matthewmckay

on: December 29, 2011, 09:32:51 AM
I have just finished applying the speedball to my crack... (sounds weird) and I wanted to pick up some 100uf capacitors for it.  I know that the obbligato 400v seem to be a popular choice for this application, at $39 a piece, and I also see that mundorf has an MKP series 100 uf as well, at $48 a piece for the 250v version and $53 for the 400v.  A third alternative I have found are the Solen caps.  Also, is a 250v rating going to be high enough, or is it better to go with a 400v or above rating? 

Does anyone have experience cap rolling with their speedballed crack that could help my selection process out.  I don't mind paying more for the mundorfs, if their performance is worth the extra dough, but I currently lack the funds to buy all three and do my own experimenting.

I am also using the MB quart qp400 headphones right now ($99).

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:44 AM
250V is fine, I think it's been stated that anything over 160V is fine.  I'm using the 250V Mundorf MKP's.  Another option is the 91uf Axon, less expensive than Solen, probably the same caps.  Also Erse has a 100uf for around 20 bucks if memory serves, direct from Erse.  The Mundorf MKP's are nice sounding caps and they fit :-)  but I cant afford to roll 100uf film caps either so ... happy with the Mundorfs.  The stock electrolytics really arent bad.   To my ear, the Mundorfs are a bit more detailed and cleaner sounding than the stock electrolytics.  A good, basic MKP.   It was well worth the upgrade IMHO. I got lucky and grabbed them when they were a bit less at PC ...  10% or 20% sale.   Michael Percy has the 91uf Axons if you go that route.

Desmond G.

Offline berniebanks

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:16 AM
I used the Mundorf 100uf 250v M Caps in mine tight squeeze with speedball but fit nicely. More detail and tighter bass than the stock caps to my ears.

I put them in as my first upgrade before adding the speedball. I am not sure if you will notice the same sonic gain by adding after the speedball as that alone is a huge step up.

Bernard Banks

Offline berniebanks

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:13:53 AM
Here's a pic of my installation.

Bernard Banks

Offline jrihs

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 03:06:44 PM
Hi berniebanks, Whats the black cap in the power chain? Hooked to terminals 13 & er... 15? was that a worthy upgrade too? Is that instead of a choke?
Thanks...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:08:59 PM by jrihs »

John Rihs

Offline berniebanks

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:38:35 PM
Its a solen 2.2uf  cap  used as a bypass on the last cap of he power supply, I think it added a bit more clarity. The speedball makes the biggest improvement though.

Bernard Banks

Offline jrihs

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:44 PM
Thanks, Is it replcing a resistor on those terminals? just installed the speedball and am poised to go "all the way with a choke and big caps". Am looking forward to further experimentation...

John Rihs

Offline berniebanks

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:10 PM
No it does not replace the resistor

Bernard Banks

Offline Laudanum

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:47 AM
That cap is just a bypass cap on the last electrolytic in the PS.   I ended up using a 2.2uf Panasonic MKP as I didnt have one of the appropriate  "audio" caps at the time.  I did try a few lower value caps marketed for the audio market.   I never bothered to replace it, the Panny is a decent cap and for the purpose it serves, I dont think something like a Solen or Mundorf MKP will make much difference there.  Regardless,  I did pick up a Mundorf 2.2uf MKP to replace it with during a Seduction and FPIII parts order.  Figured I would match my output caps but havent yet got out the iron for it.  I too think that the bypass cap added just a tiny bit of clarity to the high end.  Maybe more like cleaning up a small amount of trevle "hash".  But it was very subtle and I couldnt swear by it.  Which is probably why I havent been in a rush to change it.

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 03:05:54 AM
Constant current sources will give isolation from the power supply.  So improvements in the power supply have less effect after the installation of the plate load C4S circuits.  That isn't to say no improvement, the Eros seems to improve with a choke replacing the resistor in the Pi filter.

Offline jrihs

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:36:54 PM
Bernie, Laudanum, Grainger...thanks for the great info guys...I am always a bit squeamish to ask dumb questions but you all really make it fun and I learn so much. As amazingly good that the assembly instructions are, I do wish they described just a little bit more about what each step is actually doing and electrical theory. Not a criticism of BH at all, just a regret of my own ignorance and a desire to know more. My Profession is hydrology/geology, so I must rely on the kindness of strangers for the time being!

John Rihs

Offline berniebanks

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 05:54:30 PM
I'm also dumb, so like am having a bit of a steep learning curve as well.

Bernard Banks

Offline jrihs

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:23 AM
Whoa! I never said I was dumb, well ok...maybe...but only that the question may have been! Think I'll flip the record now...

John Rihs

Offline langendorf

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:22 AM
I have orderet a set from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Solen-Fast-Cap-100-mfd-uF-capacitors-NEW-lot-4-/180761925714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16401852

I dont know if it is possible to compare sound charistics when they are used ind a crossover and ind electronics?? But here are some info that might be usefull http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Sennheiser HD-800 - Crack

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 12:36:59 PM
sweet website...  I decided to be a cheap-ass, for now, and do a little experimenting with bypassing the stock electrolytics. I purchased these from parts express for ~ $18.

2 x  Solen 1.0uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor

2 x  Audiocap PPT Theta 0.01uF 600V Film/Foil Capacitor

I read something about "cascade bypassing" for speaker crossovers, sometimes resulting in better top to bottom coherence than a single bypass alone.  claiming that "that best results with crossovers are usually obtained by bypassing in a ratio of 1/100 the desired value of the cap to be bypassed, with the progressively smaller caps having progressively higher voltage ratings."  I am sure that this is not a general rule and would be more favorable in certain applications than others, but for $18, I thought I would give it a try before pulling the trigger on some big 100 uf film caps.  If the experiment proves favorable, I envision trying it again at some point with the 100uf obligatos, bypassed with some ampohm polyester in oil 1uf caps that the humble hifi website reviewed so positively... holy mother of god are they expensive though.. maybe I'll just try the .01uf instead.