S.E.X Bottlehead parts - need help

hungdaubub123 · 2367

Offline hungdaubub123

on: July 01, 2017, 05:27:22 AM
Dear Bottlehead community,
I just bought a Bottlehead set but when I received it, some parts are missing. Therefore, I would like to buy those missing parts to complete my set.

The parts I want to buy are:
1. wires (not power cord, see arrows in picture a)
2. manual CD (instructions are provided on a CD so you can print it out or view the manual electronically for S.E.X Bottlehead 2.1.) - SEE PICTURE d
3. Screw Bolt set like in picture a (screws, bolts, insulator pieces, etc) - FOR MORE DETAILS, SEE PICTURES a, b AND c
I am from Vietnam and I am really eager to be a part of this lovely community.
I look forward to hearing your suggestions and recommendations on how to complet and perfect my S.E.X Bottlehead 2.1. I love it so much
From Vietnam, with love,
Christine Nguyen

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:10:18 AM
Hello Christine,

I would recommend that you contact [email protected] regrading the missing parts.

If you purchased this kit from us, we would certainly be happy to provide you with the missing parts, though based on what is missing, I would guess that this was purchased second hand?  I would certainly get in touch with the seller and express your concern over all that is missing.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hungdaubub123

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:32:18 AM
Dear Caucastian,
Thanks for looking and giving me the solutions to my problem.
I've just used Bottlehead and I'm not confident with my ability of building and soldering, so I decided to purchase the S.E.X 2.1 from Ebay and Audiogon (audiogon.com/listings/amplifiers-bottlehead-s-e-x-2-1-with-cs4-and-impedance-upgrades-price-correction-2016-10-20-headphones-28205-charlotte-nc)
I've known that this S.E.X 2.1 is assembled recently and hasn't been used before. The sound is really amazing. However, the seller forgot to send me the manual CD and he hasn't answered my email. Also there are some parts that were missing when I received my Bottlehead (like I said before).
So, through this community I hope that I can get some useful instructions to complete my Bottlehead set, or any advices to make it fully upgraded.
I love my S.E.X so much  ;). So I’m looking forward to hearing your answers to my problems.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Christine Nguyen
P/S: Is “[email protected]” an email address?
I have found an advice in this forum which wrote something like: “calling Bottlehead HQ on Monday” to purchase substitute parts, but I don’t know what to do. Although I live in Vietnam but I have a brother in America, so he can help me to get the stuff that I need.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:20:55 AM
You've bought an assembled, working kit from Audiogon, therefore it can't be missing any parts.  That listing also states that it comes with the manual on CD rom.  You may want to contact the seller through Audiogon to ask for the manual.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline hungdaubub123

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:27:54 AM
Thanks for helping, Caucastian :)! I'll get my brother to help me checking the seller's email to get the manual CD.
Also, I wanna ask about how to purchase the Screw Bolt set and the wires, which I've lost it when it arrived to Vietnam.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:32 AM
You have bought a kit that was discontinued and is no longer available.  All the parts bags for said kit are also no longer available.

The manual specifies which screws you need, and those are easily ordered from a variety of vendors online.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline hungdaubub123

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:11:28 AM
Dear PB,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Do you have any recommendations regarding the vendors.
Also, just in case I could not reach my seller to get the CD, do you have any information about the specifications of the wires and screws bolt (especially power transformer mounting screws since I lost some of them) used for this device?

Lastly, do you have any advice on where and what tubes to buy for this device?
Thank you so so so much.
Cảm ơn
From Vietnam with love:)

Best regards,
Christine Nguyen

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 05:22:31 AM
Dear PB,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Do you have any recommendations regarding the vendors.
Also, just in case I could not reach my seller to get the CD, do you have any information about the specifications of the wires and screws bolt (especially power transformer mounting screws since I lost some of them) used for this device?
You bought an assembled, working SEX amp.  The specifications for the wires are printed on the wire jacket. 

Would you be able to post a picture of your SEX amp?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline hungdaubub123

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:36:17 PM
Thanks to Caucastian for helping me. :) It’s a shame that the specifications of the wires were right on the jacket but I didn’t see it. I’m a newbie so I really need your help.
Caucastian showed that this is the picture of the parts that I was missing when it arrived. (The nuts in the image below where the arrow points to are zoomed in for you to see it clearly).
I think it is the antique golden power transformer mounting nuts(*). There are 4 of them, but I’ve lost some so now I just have one left. I tried to replace them with the nuts that I found, but most of them don’t fit the screw bolts. So I want to purchase at least 4 power transformer mounting Nuts.
I also lost the washers made out of small plastic pieces to insulate the transformer metal surfaces from the top plate at the same position(**).
Even though the 2.1 version is not supported, but I think those components from the 3.0 version will still be compatible with my 2.1 version. If so, could I purchase them? Please help me if you know how.
-/ (*) and (**) are the components that I’m looking for but I don’t know the specifications because the seller forgot to send me the manual CD.
...Before knowing about the Bottlehead set, I’ve used many other amp headphones. But I loved S.E.X since the very first time I used it. My love to S.E.X has brought me here, the Bottlehead forum. I hope that I can get some help from you guys so that my S.E.X 2.1 will be fully upgraded (because it consists of some basic components only).
Thanks for reading! Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:24:11 AM
The nut your arrow points to is a #8-32 nut.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 07:32:03 AM
It's a 6-32 nut. Assuming that the builder who used their own hardware used the same sizes.

It's also unnecessary since the standoff is threaded. In fact, when that standoff is installed, the nut is removed.

You say you are missing parts from the transformer mounting. They are clearly visible in your picture. You have described yourself as loving the sound of this amplifier. Why are parts suddenly missing from a complete amplifier...?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:44:04 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:46 AM
Oops, yes, the signal iron on the SEX is indeed mounted with #6-32 hardware.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline hungdaubub123

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 09:44:08 PM
Thanks Caucastian and fullheadofnothing for helping.
- To fullheadofnothing: This S.E.X was bought by my brother in America. 3/4 nuts as same as in the image and the washers (which are made out of small, black plastic pieces to insulate the transformer metal surfaces from the top plate) were lost when he brought it from America (The image just shows only one nut that I currently have :( ).
The seller didn't gave the CD manual to my brother in America. I tried to contact the seller but he didn't reply. I was so sad that I almost wanted to kill myself. :) :) :) :) :)
I'm super intrigued by the Bottlehead amp so I'm seriously learning about building it and I will try to buy a Crack kit in the future (because I also have an HD650).
Please help me identify once again that, can I purchase the #6-32 nuts on online shops like eBay (for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-32-Machine-Screw-Hex-Nuts-Solid-Brass-Qty-100-/230860571827?epid=857058817&hash=item35c05cc4b3:g:0kAAAOSw241YdADO ). Will it be compatible with the screws in the Standoff transformer mounting?
Thanks a lot for helping.
Thanks Caucastian.
Thanks fullheadofnothing :).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 06:52:27 AM
Yes, a 6-32 nut will work with a 6-32 screw. Spending the money on brass isn't necessary, steel will work fine.  The standoff is threaded so the nuts don't really need to be there, they are just leftover from a stock build.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:51:56 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 10:12:50 AM
The correct nut to have in that position is

NO NUT.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus