New Quickie Project and MJE 350 Metal Side Missing Info

InfernoSTi · 11846

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
My Quickie and PJCCS kit just arrived this afternoon by UPS.  The main plate is in a nice dark red!  Luck would have it that I had the day off, so I've been a busy guy throwing together a simple stained pine box and starting the PJCCS kit. 

The new MJE 350 threw me for a bit of a curve but then I just found this general post and thought I would post it in the Quickie forum to save time for the next newbie like myself trying to figure this out.  Nice to know the "back" is the one with no writing and the small dot.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hawthorneaudio.com%2Fphotos%2Falbums%2Fuserpics%2F11179%2Fphoto-139.JPG&hash=a539a54277db529b6c7bd1c667848743be753b5d)

John

The great parts famine of 2010 has forced us to look for substitute parts for many of the kits we manufacture. These substitute parts are of equal or better quality, but some look rather different than the original parts we used in producing the assembly manual. The latest case is one that will cause some confusion -

For the past 14 or 15 years we have used MJE 350 transistors that have a "front" black plastic side with the MJE 350 designation printed on it. The other, "back" side of the transistor is metal.

The current batch of Fairchild transistors we purchased do not have a metal side. One side is printed with the MJE 350 designation, and this corresponds to the "front" side of older transistors. It can also be identified by the three small dots imprinted in the plastic around the center hole.

The "back" side, that corresponds to the metal side on the old transistors, has a more matte finish with no printing except for one small dot impression.

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Moko

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:59:08 PM
Thats a really useful post...I was just about to start putting my board together this morning and I am sure this would have caused me some concern.

So thanks once again for taking the time to post.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:46:20 PM
A new BH kit and a day off, that is serendipity!  I recently bought some MJE 350s at the local electronics store and had to look up that post to be sure I put them in right too.  I'm lucky, Knoxville is under 200,000 people but there are enough businesses here using electronic parts there is still one place to buy such parts.

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:41:57 PM
Moko, glad I could help out a fellow newbie!  I figured I might not be the only one trying to figure this out!

Grainger49, we also had a cool front here in Texas so it wasn't over 100 like it was for the previous 30 days...a very enjoyable day off!  I agree, it is great when you can pick up supplies retail instead of ordering. 

I didn't like the way the stain looked on the softwood pine, so I primer coated and now I'm painting satin black to accent the red.  This is a temporary box, so I'm not too worried but think black with red will look outstanding!

I finished up the PJCCS last night. I figure I might be able to finish up the Quickie tonight after dinner.  And my Mullard DL92s arrived from Tubecrazy!!!  Yea!!!

Clean living is the only explanation for my good fortune this week!!!

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!