scaling back on stereo equipment

aragorn723 · 903

Offline aragorn723

on: January 21, 2018, 09:35:55 AM
Hi,

I have tried scaling back on stereo equipment in the past, and am toying with that idea again.  Last time, I had a Cary Audio AE-3 tube preamp, and decided to get rid of it, and bought a 7.1 channel onkyo receiver, along with a Paradigm 5.1 surround sound system.  It sounded ok (tried to convince myself it sounded good!), but eventually I wound up setting that aside and buying a Quickie, and the onkyo / surround sound system is collecting dust.  Should I sell it?  Has anyone else tried scaling back?  What did you do, and do you feel like it was a good decision? 

Dave

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:42 AM
I am still piling up on stereo equipment.... :-) Recently also started buying more acoustic guitars, but that is another story.... Happy that the wife is still playing along.  8)

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

4krow

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:50:31 AM
 Scaling back is a good idea for me as well. Trouble is, when I get cornered by the possibility of a medium being mothballed (like CD,SACD), then I have to continue to look for new mediums. Of course, that enevitably leads to more equipment. In this case, a computer setting along with the rest of my equipment. Most new equipment has features that are no use to me. That is one consideration to look at for future purchases.