OT: Out of Nothing

caffeinator · 1402

Offline caffeinator

on: April 04, 2018, 08:55:37 PM
Some time ago this movie (Out of Nothing) came up on a now-old thread.

Just happened to see this evening that it's now available on Amazon Prime Video.

It's an interesting and enjoyable documentary recounting three local (Bellingham) fellows' preparations for and experiences at the Bonneville Salt Flats attempting motorcyle speed records.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 05:08:34 AM
Yes, a good film. I thought the rivalry in the storyline to give it cinematic drama was a bit overplayed, and the geek in me was hoping for more technical description of the bikes which are quite unique. In other words my version of the film would have been boring...but the characters are interesting, it's nicely shot and it gets the flavor of land speed/independent racer culture. Well worth seeing. Those guys were kind of upcoming celebs when we were at Bonneville a couple years ago, Sodium Distortion had a big pit setup and won an award for nicest race team or something like that, and Superat had rolled in in a semi and had merch for sale. Maybe I need to watch it again to get me inspired to finish up my bike. August is coming up really fast. I did get a lanyard kill switch installed yesterday.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:53 AM
I actually own a Buell that is one of the bikes featured in that movie!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline RayP

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:08:22 PM
There is also a New Zealand film 'The World's Fastest Indian' which features a motorcycle at Bonneville and is fun to watch. It's based on a true story and features Anthony Hopkins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World%27s_Fastest_Indian

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:35:43 PM
Yup, that's a great movie. It's the one that reminded me of how much I wanted to see Bonneville when I was a kid, after my mom bought me a Revell model kit of Challenger I. Only took another 50 something years to get there. This year I hope to see to it from the driver's seat.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:27:34 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:19:42 AM
I just happened to take a look this weekend at "The Fastest Car" on Netflix.  A show I didn't expect to like, but found engaging and enjoyable.

Each show features a four-way shootout (drag race), usually between from one to three drag cars or sleepers and one supercar.  The week leading up to the race is chronicled in vignettes of each racer, introducing them, their car, and their preparations.  Well-chosen entrants seem to strike slightly different notes on the likability (or unlikability) scale, and the producers seem to know how to compose these elements well from show to show.

Anyway, I think it's worth a look, and that if you liked 'Out of Nothing,' you might like this, too.  It, too, lacks a little in the tech department, but seems to make up for it in other ways.

More info here:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/fastest-car-netflix-review-racing-series-1201949127/

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36:43 AM
Interesting review, will definitely check it out. Thanks! Speaking of reality TV style drama or lack thereof, did anyone watch the Argentinian MotoGP yesterday? What a screwball race!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adydula

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:00 AM
Hey Doc,

This one is for you!!

Back when I was a teenager and my modifications to my CB160 Honda!!

I couldnt afford anything back then, this bike was my  world so to speak!

The staright pipes came off of my mothers Electro-lux vacuun cleaner!!! HA!

Oh! and notice the exoctic gas can!!! It was from a "bug" sprayer!!!

Alex

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 09:48:53 AM
That's awesome. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the one photo I had of my first moto - a Suzuki TS185 I turned into a cafe racer around 1979.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:24 AM
I guess my movie would be called "out of a basket", though sometimes I think it might better be called "out of patience". First pic is what I brought home a few years ago, from the garage of a guy up the road from me. Second pic is the current status. Getting pretty close to hauling it out of the basement shop and giving it a test fire.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:20:48 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.