Resistance Measurements, Terminals 4 and 11

jcv70 · 1038

Offline jcv70

on: April 16, 2018, 06:45:33 AM
I received my 3.0 amp parts on January 11, 2017 and due to a job change/move didn't get around to assembling the kit until March 2018.

That said, when doing my resistance checks I found a problem on the "A" side with terminal's 4 and 11, all other resistance check have measured okay.

When testing terminals 4 and 11, the meter (Fluke 17) goes slowly up to 2.2-3.6MΩ for both terminals.

Tracing the read and white wires to the transformer,  the same thing happens when testing directly on the transformer.

If I alligator over to the "B" side transformer to the wires, all the resistance check measure correctly, giving 251.1KΩ for terminal 4 and 669.8Ω for terminal 11.

Sorry for being long winded....

My question, based on the above, is the "A" side transformer bad and is there a test or something I can do to confirm what is going on?

My next plan was to remove and see if I did anything during installation that may have damaged it.....

This is my first kit, and I will say that it was going rather well up to this point, so I don't really need to rush, I'm learning....

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:57 AM
Both of those terminals are connected to ground via one simple resistor. If that resistor is not reading its value, than something is wrong somewhere. Perhaps the black wire at 5L is missing/miswired...?

Can you post pictures?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline jcv70

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:34:00 PM
You were correct.  I pushed the 5L black wire in too far where the jacket wasn’t stripped.  Once corrected, the remaining resistance checks are the correct values now.  Thank you for the help.

Now on to the voltage checks tomorrow....