RIP Jim R.

galyons · 1628

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
on: April 16, 2018, 04:50:55 PM
I am sad to report that Jim R., our blind Bottlehead, has passed away.  Jim was a kind and generous soul who never let his disability or ailments interfere in his appreciation of listening to music.  Jim had a fine ear, was an accomplished DIY’er and a true gentleman in all senses of the word.  He was always ready to share his knowledge and experience.  He and I communicated regularly about life, music and music reproduction. He was an old soul and I will truly miss him.

Regards,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:01:47 PM
I'm very sad to hear that. His posts were always a bright spot on the forum.

Paul Joppa

Offline BNAL

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:24:52 PM
I’m very sad to hear the news. Over the years I had communicated with him and even bought some gear. He will be missed.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:50:01 AM
Woah, that's very sad to hear.  I'll miss seeing him in CO and reading his contributions here.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:24:38 AM
This is very sad news. RIP Séamus.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:43:54 AM
Vale, Jim. As I look at the Atmos clock you traded to me many years ago I recall how in awe I was of your ability to put together our kits without the aid of your eyes. I chuckle to myself thinking of how I would close my eyes when I would sit with an amp in front of me as we worked out the details of a particular sticky point in the construction, attempting to comprehend how you performed this act of magic. Your soft voice contrasted with your fierce passion for music and craftsmanship. I'll miss seeing posts from our Blind Bottlehead.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kgoss

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 05:04:04 AM
Rest in peace Jim.  I never met him, but I always liked reading his posts on this forum.
I learned quite a bit from them and marveled at his craftsmanship.  A sad day indeed.

Ken Goss

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 06:02:07 AM
RIP, if anyone knows if there's a way to send condolences or sympathy please let us know.  I corresponded with Jim thru various boards and email.  He seemed a great soul.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:03:22 AM
Jim was very generous and always working on one project after another. I exchanged many long emails with him about various projects that intersected with each other. RIP Jim

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 03:49:52 PM
This is sad news.... I too will miss Jim. He was a kind and generous friend.

Aaron Johnson

Offline RayP

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 04:10:51 AM
We are fortunate that there are so many kind, friendly and helpful people in this hobby. And like Jim, we all share the same passion for building tube stuff that produces glorious music. When I read his posts I could never work out how he did it, but people overcome all kinds of obstacles and they are an inspiration for us all.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline denti alligator

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 04:41:56 AM
This is sad news. Jim was a truly generous guy and will be missed. I have a number of audio devices that I got from him. It was always a pleasure trading getting advice from him.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 06:07:56 AM
I have been asked by several members about sending condolences.  Condolences can be sent to this email address, [email protected]  or to Linda Tate, 1683 Yellow Pine Avenue, Boulder, CO 80304.

Memorial donations can be made to the American Kidney Fund (kidneyfund.org) or the Emergency Family Assistance Association of Boulder (efaa.org).

Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's