Telefunken 3s4

aragorn723 · 767

Offline aragorn723

on: February 15, 2020, 03:14:47 PM
It's been a long time since i've posted here.  Can anyone tell me what the Telefunken 3s4 tubes sound like?  What are they good at?  Worth the $$?

Dave

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 08:55:38 PM
I settled for Mullard in my Quickie 7 years ago and they are still in there. The Telefunken went back into their box. The Mullards felt a bit smoother and a tad less microphonic.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 12:17:10 AM
I belive the good Telefunkens are actually Philips made tubes, which in my opinion sound the best.  Very detailed and clear sounding to my ears, though some might prefer the slightly darker and warmer sounding tubes.  Good news is they are really cheap so suck em and see...

I have seen a few different Telefunkens, so they were sourced from various manufacturers. The ones i recomend have a very shiny, almost miror like plate inside them... those are the Philips made tubes.  Or just buy the Philips branded if you see them.

M.McCandless

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 03:22:04 AM
Sounds like what I'm looking for.  I like the sound to be slightly on the brighter side, but not harsh.  The tubes I use now are Westinghouse, and are nice for louder music sessions when the wife isn't home, lol.  They are pretty neutral.  Maybe the Telefunkens will be nice for lower volume.

Dave