Headphone configuration

Genestas · 627

Offline Genestas

on: March 05, 2021, 12:44:49 AM
Hi there everyone!
I'd like to build a headphone kit (the Krakatwoa or Mainline) in order to be able to listen to my lossless files in my computer with headphones. I don't know anything about Hifi so can you tell me if other components are necessary to get the best results otehr than the Mainline + headphones?

I currently have low grade headphones and a Xonar Essence One DAC/Headphones amp.

Is that all I need? Just the Mainline (Or Krakatwoa) and headphones?
Thanks a lot!

Offline Karl5150

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 02:33:10 AM
It looks like the Xonar has both balanced and unbalanced outputs so it should work as a DAC to feed either Bottlehead amp but to be honest, the review I read of the Xonar was not overly complimentary. I'm not a big HP guy but as a builder and listener to several BH amps I'm sure either the Mainline or the C2A will show how really great they are when fed by the proper DAC and playing through a good set of headphones, matched to show all their strengths. There are numerous threads on the forum (and elsewhere) where others opine their favorite combinations, many with thoughtful details of the sound.
Just my .02, Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Genestas

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 03:38:12 AM
Thanks a lot Karl. So this means I'll have to change my DAC then. I'll browse through the forum in order to find the best combination for headphone amp/DAC/headphones. Thanks!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 05:26:32 AM
Don't change everything at once. You should build the amp first and use it with the DAC you have. Then decide whether or not you need to upgrade and what direction you want to take that upgrade. It will be more educational that way.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Genestas

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 09:49:00 AM
OK. I'll start with the Krakatwoa then and see from there. Thank you!