Is there a single thread for Quickie / PJCSS manual corrections?

Jerry · 3712

Offline Jerry

I'm currently building a Quickie, and I've had to poke around to find information on the replacement transistor placement on the PJCSS and other possible issues.  For example, my board doesn't appear as in the manual and the bB, bA pads aren't indicated for the jumper shown in the manual.  Also, I understand there may be a few other inconsistencies, changes or omissions between the manual and the actual build. 

Is there a single location where this information is posted?  If not, can somebody please do that?  It seems like this should be a "sticky" and easy to find.

Thanks,

Jerry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:51:24 PM
We sent some kits out with the wrong PC board. Call Eileen tomorrow at 206-451-4275 and she will get the correct PC board to you.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jerry

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:11:46 PM
Thanks Doc,

I'll call on the replacement board tomorrow.  I the current board populated up to the "S" jumper wire, so if there is any way to use it with some modified instructions, I'd be open to that as well.

Aside from the PJCSS board, are the build instructions for the Quickie kit current, or are there some issues that I'll need to watch for.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:35:09 PM
There's a discussion of using the older board in the PJCCS sticky. The "heater battery connection" thread is the most recent on that issue. You've already found the MJE350 replacement sticky in the General Discussion board. Those are the main ones that I am aware of.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:21:46 AM
Here's the link to the new MJE350 orientation:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,845.0.html

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jerry

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:32:40 PM

Transistor orientation - check
(writing on transistor front, single dot on transistor back)

Heater wiring - check
(Negative to pin 5)

Old board - check
The BIG DIFFERENCE is that the large MJE350 transistor is reversed between the boards. Coupled with the different transistors, this can be confusing - be careful there!!! If you look carefully, you will see that the three terminals of the transistor are labeled E, C, and B on the board, and they are reversed between the boards. Tiny print, hard to see!

Here's a map, going clockwise from the O terminal (which is the C4S output, in case you wondered) around the "A" end:

old board     new board
O               OA
I                IA
-                (-reg)
K                Kreg
-                -reg
+                breg connected to rreg
G                bA

Of course for the PJCCS you only use the I, O, and G connections; the rest are for the shunt regulator function which is not used.

Good thing I read through this as the current board would have the backs of the transistors facing out, but the former board would have the backs of the transistors facing in if I'm reading this right.  I've populated my board up to this point, so rather than desolder and try to salvage parts, I'm going to call for a replacement board and components.  Grrrr.

>

Offline Jerry

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:07:30 PM
Update:

The Quickie is finished and playing very nicely in my system. The NOS Tung Sol tubes ring like bells, but a set of Herbies has helped to tame that quite a bit.  I built this preamp for somebody else, but after listening to it for less than two days, I'll be ordering another to build for myself.  This quirky little preamp sounds fantastic and makes me smile when I look at it. 

This was my first Bottlehead kit, and overall, it's been a positive experience. Well done Team Bottlehead!

Jerry

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 04:33:07 PM
Hey Jerry,

Glad you managed to wrangle in the Quickie!  As Q would say, Cheers, Mate!!!

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Jerry

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:30:59 AM
Hey John,

It's all boxed up, and I'm gonna be sad to see it go.  I'll have to get back in line for another pretty quick.

Jerry