Used Flux on my Speedball PCB- Am I Screwed?! [resolved]

lanson · 1013

Offline lanson

• RIP Wallet...
 Hello,

I have completed my basic Crack build a couple of weeks ago and I've been enjoying it immensely on a daily basis; you guys weren't lying when you said this stuff was highly addictive! I am seriously considering buying another kit just for the very rewarding experience of building it!!

So, I've been itching to try the new soldering station I just received. After reflowing most of the joints on the Crack, and having nothing else to play around with, I went ahead and started working on my Speedball boards. I have no intention of installing them any time soon; I'm still enjoying and learning the intricacies of the basic Crack.

Anyways, I forgot the clear instructions on the manual (and the Doc's very helpful soldering video) and used a little bit of flux on my PCBs. I've included pictures of the boards, along with the solder and flux used. My question is: did I ruin my boards? And if so, is it beyond repair? From research on this forum, I got the idea that people having issues with their builds have used the wrong kind of flux (corrosive?), whereas the flux I used says neutral,"no poison no (c?)orrosion", and good insulation. Could JYD be lying to me? Should I de-solder everything, clean off the flux, and re-solder, just to be on the safe side? I should also mention that I did not use any flux on my main circuit, and have had almost zero issues in building this thing, so I really don't know what inspired me to use flux this time around!

Bonus (and off-topic) question: I am getting this robot "Captcha" challenge every.single.time I get on the forum and the main site. Does this happen to everyone? Is it normal? And is there any way I could prove my humanity once and for all, and be spared of all the bus,plane,boat, and-most recently-vertical river identification games?!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 11:16:44 AM by lanson »

Ahmad Al Halawani

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 01:25:13 PM
Is there more information on the back of the flux packaging?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline lanson

• RIP Wallet...
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 01:29:51 PM
Nothing at all on the back, but the guy I bought it from assured me that this is the stuff they use for all the electronics repair work they do at the shop.

Ahmad Al Halawani

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 01:32:49 PM
Oh if you got it at an electronics shop I wouldn't worry.

If you bought that flux at the hardware store in the plumbing aisle, or at a hobby shop in the jewelry making aisle, then we would have some concerns.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:57:04 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline lanson

• RIP Wallet...
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 01:43:14 PM
That's a relief! Thank you Paul!

I have one more question: I would like to try my hand at cable making, starting with the BH Power Cord kit. Would there be an issue if I built my cable, terminated with a UK or EU-style plug, and ran it on a  220VAC amp?

Ahmad Al Halawani

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 01:58:44 PM
The wire we provide will certainly tolerate 240V mains, as will the IEC plug.

Whether the heatshrink we provide you will slide over the new plug you get is a whole different matter though!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline lanson

• RIP Wallet...
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 02:02:38 PM
I think it will,or I'll just have to find a bigger shrink to fit!
Thanks again Paul!
Cheers!

Ahmad Al Halawani