Do I need to correct this? UPDATED - corrected but still curious.

e2o · 664

Offline e2o

Howdy. In my final checks I found I soldered the 6” black wire (going to the headphone jack) to 12U instead of 12L (page 40, 3rd step from top of page). I started to desolder to correct, but it’s going to get gnarly. Is this something necessary to correct?
Thanks! - eric
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:05:32 PM by e2o »

Offline lanson

• RIP Wallet...
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 08:13:38 AM
Don't take my word for it, but: I assume that since 12U and 12L are a single continuous piece of metal, it doesn't really matter from an electrical point of view. The division is done to keep things tidy.

While waiting for a response from the real circuit wizards here, you can always check your resistances and see if everything checks out. You could also re-check the rest of your connections, keeping an eye out for cold joints while you're at it. Just don't plug in the amp until you get the go-ahead from someone who actually knows what they are talking about!

Ahmad Al Halawani

Offline e2o

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 08:22:11 AM
Thanks! Yeah, the “single piece of metal” condition is the only reason I considered not correcting. I re-checked the  build start to finish, and resistance checks are good.

Offline lanson

• RIP Wallet...
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 08:47:46 AM
I think you did the right thing by asking here first before going through with the resistance and voltage checks. Just sit back, admire your handiwork, and wait for the BH experts to chime in. The response time here is generally very fast.

Ahmad Al Halawani

Offline e2o

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 02:01:46 PM
UPDATE - I corrected the wiring - just because I wanted to move forward. But I'm still curious as to the official answer to this. Are the upper lugs and lower lugs completely interchangeable, and only a feature to keep assembly tidy and soldering simpler?

Thanks, - eric

Offline Thermioniclife

The upper and lower are the same, The reason for calling out upper or lower is for making it simpler to construct. Think about it, it is one piece of metal with 2 holes in it, it's the same terminal.

Lee R.

Offline e2o

The upper and lower are the same, The reason for calling out upper or lower is for making it simpler to construct. Think about it, it is one piece of metal with 2 holes in it, it's the same terminal.

That was my thought, but didn't want to proceed until I could says "All wiring installed per the manual" and REALLY mean it...

Thanks!