Phono upgrade

aragorn723 · 1623

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 11:19:25 AM
If you pop the rubber plug (carefully) off the bottom of the arm, you can see the black earthing wire going to a solder pad with (I think) the blue wire.  It's possible to separate those two and separate the solder pad they go do in order to float the shield with respect to the tonearm.  Having done that, you can add a braided shield to the interconnects and bond it to one of the tonearm mounting screws on the TT end and the ground post on the pre at the other.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Herbertk

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 05:15:24 AM
Do you think this is Rega just being lazy or wanting to sell more of their own pre-amps :P I till love my TT but seems an odd choice to not just stick with the industry norm.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 05:25:51 AM
It may be not wanting to deal with tech support on the earthing wire.  The lack of shielding on the interconnects seems like an odd choice though. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 01:59:44 PM
Would the Rega Planar 2 be a major upgrade from the Uturn?  Still toying with the idea of selling the Uturn and London cart.  There is a shop about an hour away that sells Rega, NAD, Pro-ject, and Mofi.  Maybe it's time to pay them a visit.

Dave