Volume pot resistors

ccoolliinn · 1475

Offline ccoolliinn

on: May 28, 2023, 03:53:28 AM
Having been using my Crack for many years now and still really enjoying it, I've decided to relook at fitting resistors to stop the volume getting too high too quickly with my Bayer Dynamic T90 headphones. I held off all this time just in case I tried other can's. I have two questions.
In the FAQ it says fit a 75K resister on both channel inputs to volume pot, but I'm unsure of the 33K position or amount.
As these are fitted into the signal path, is there a recommended make which would give the best sound quality.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 04:04:53 AM by ccoolliinn »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 06:21:47 AM
At the bottom of the first post on the FAQ, there's a picture of a pot with the four resistors added:
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=4295.0

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ccoolliinn

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 06:52:23 AM
Hi thanks for the reply, yep I saw the photo. Just not clear on the 33k position, I can only see one but I guess the other one matches the top one on other channel.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 06:57:01 AM
Yes, the other one goes on the bottom row of lugs on the pot just like the one up top.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ccoolliinn

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 07:32:41 AM
I understand the 75k resister job in reducing signal but what is the job of the 33k.  ???

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 08:03:02 AM
Here's a helpful reference:
https://goldpt.com/preattenuation.html

The second resistor set keeps the input impedance of the Crack around 100K and increases the amount of attenuation. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ccoolliinn

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 08:12:38 AM
Thanks, very interesting link. Have you any recommendations on best resisters for the job quality wise. Bit of a minefield with so many to chose from online.

Offline Larpy

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 08:15:03 AM
As these are fitted into the signal path, is there a recommended make which would give the best sound quality.

Vishay/Dale CMF series metal film resistors are inexpensive but excellent quality.  I suggest 1% tolerance since these will be used in such a critical position.

Larry

Offline ccoolliinn

Offline Larpy

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 12:03:28 PM
More than OK.  Those are highly regarded.  And pricey.  But you only need 4 of them.

Here in the U.S. we can buy Vishay/Dale CMF resistors for less than a dollar each.  They're usually plenty good for me.  I don't know that I would hear a difference between them and boutique resistors.

Larry

Offline ccoolliinn

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 02:05:45 PM
I agree, but as I only need 4  ;D