Failed Powerline Voltage Test, blown fuse, fried powerstrip [solved]

Trio9436 · 1180

Offline Trio9436

Hi all,

I have competed "Assembly Part Three — Wiring the Amplifier" and attempted to measure the voltage at the IEC inlet. Stupidly I had a powerstrip connected when I plugged in the cord, and it sparked when I did so, killing the powerstrip. The fuse was also blown, and I did not get a chance to look at the DMM to see if it measured anything.

I am attaching a picture of the DMM setting I used. I picked the fused 10 amp setting, thinking it was the right one, but now I'm wondering if that caused my problem. There are only a few connections made so far, and I'm fairly confident they're correct. I'm attaching pictures of the build, blown fuse, and replacement fuse I bought.

I'd love it if someone could confirm the replacement fuses I bought will work, see if my connections all look good, and if I should use right-most connection on the DMM for the red lead.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 08:40:58 PM by Trio9436 »

Offline Trio9436

More pics

Offline Trio9436

More pics

Online Thermioniclife

It appears that the red lead is in the amps position, it should be placed into the volt/ ohm/ capacitor position.
In the amps position it will be a direct short which would low the fuse in the amp and possibly trip the circuit breaker on the power strip.

Lee R.

Offline Trio9436

That was indeed it! Thanks for the confirmation.