Rust/Oxidation on Transformer Treatment?

Emoreigns · 982

Offline Emoreigns

on: June 25, 2024, 12:15:31 PM
Good Afternoon Bottlehead folk,

For all my builds I have been painting the transformer 'bell' or cap to prevent oxidation. I live real close to the ocean and it is very humid and foggy off the lagoon often. ( Not good for rust)

My Beepre transformer has begun to rust- Can this part be painted? Or should it be oiled up to prevent oxidation?

Any suggestions would be great; I don't believe I have seen anyone paint these, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks all!

~Happy Listening

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 12:43:49 PM
If I get a rusty one that's mounted on a chassis plate, I will mask off the base with wide masking tape and scrap paper, then just spray over the stack and transformer cover with black spray paint.  The 2X black is my current preference for that.  Just be sure you cover the top plate well before doing this.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 07:27:03 AM
Great- Thanks Paul- Just wanted to make sure this was alright to do. Should I hit the rusty areas with some steel wool first, or just cover it with paint?

Appreciate it

~Happy Listening

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 07:31:27 AM
I would just paint over it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 10:55:15 AM
Great Paul Thanks- I just touched up some of the paint on the transformer cap, so I've got a pretty good Tek for masking everything off.

Thanks again Paul-

~Happy Listening