soft start boo boo

John Roman · 2301

Offline John Roman

on: February 28, 2011, 06:31:28 AM
Finally started the soft start upgrade for my Paramounts and damned if I didn't damage one of the resistors. Specifically the 1/8 watt (90R9) on side A, location R1. Somehow :) I overheated it and part of the insulating jacket broke off. I'm tempted to just use it unless of course these can be sourced locally. Fry's electronics or Radio shack may have what I need. In fact now that my brain has mixed with the coffee enough I know the perfect place to get a replacement. So just in case, what parameters are important? I'll stay with 1/8 watt, but what material?
Best regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:10:41 AM
John, if you take a look at the parts list it will tell you what type of resistor that Bottlehead recommends.  Sorry for this non specific answer but I do not have the CD or printed manual handy.

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:10:58 AM
90.9 ohms, 1/8W, metal film, 1% tolerance. We can of course send you a replacement if you can't find one locally.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:25:40 AM
Since this resistor is in the C4S that feeds the shunt regulator, it is doubly isolated from any signal voltage or current, so I don't think it is a sonically critical part. I prefer 1% accuracy here, but as much as 5% would still be acceptable.

Paul Joppa

Offline John Roman

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:21:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have something worked out.
Best regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay