Questions about SETs and ported enclosures (Paramount + JBL 2215B)

keto · 4269

Offline keto

Hey all, I'd like to design boxes for some JBL 2215B's (fr 20hz, qts 0.21, dia 13", vas 736.2L or 26ft3). Several calculators point towards 4.4ft3 tuned at 34hz with a pair of 6"-long 4"-dia vents, which is pretty much what the original JBL 4320 boxes were :-). The original boxes were kind of boomy though, which I assume is due in part to their 3/4" walls. I've read here (PJ) that for a sealed enclosure the overall Q will be around 30% less using a typical SET vs an infinitely-low Zout amp. Is there a similar compensation with ported enclosures? Also, is there a way to calculate a minimum "double-dip" in the impedance? A "double-dip" sounds like something that a SET would not really like to drive. I've also looked into a sealed enclosure. In some ways not the best thing for the 2215's since @ Q=1 the Fb would be around 80hz (2ft3 volume), but I'm looking for super SET-friendly. Below is a drawing of the 5ft3 (without driver and port volumes) version (26"-tall) that will fit in the studio. 1.5" walls would be ply and/or MDF, but probably not aluminum :-). It would seem like a good move to go with these dimensions and tune to taste, but if there's a smaller enclosure that would really be a better match for the Paramounts, I'd go with that. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!

Tom Jones

Offline ssssly

From my meager experimentation, SETs are more picky about driver specifications than the enclosure. While I am sure there are exceptions I have found that my lower powered amps do not like to drive anything with a large xmax. Have not had issues with ported enclosures specifically though. Though I have found that they are happier in a ported enclosures with low port velocities.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
If I recall correctly, the 2215B is the same as an LE-15B which was designed to boom - JBL marketing out-voted the engineering side. The Lansing Heritage site will have the most and bvest information.

If you adjust the electrical Q for SET drive, then you can use any box design program to find a suitable box; the amp will be comfortable with the resulting impedance function.

Consider a closed box with a QT of 0.5 to 0.7. These well-damped responses roll off very smoothly and slowly and can sound quite deep, especially if there is some room boost.

Paul Joppa

Offline keto

Well, at least I was on the right track -- even if traveling in the wrong direction :-). Okay, just did a bunch of reading. Neat trick adjusting the Qes (increasing the value 20-25%, right?) and then solving for the vented enclosure. With the 2215B that would end up being about 6-7 ft3, which wont fit where it needs to go. It looks like the 4.5-ish ft3 enclosure will work well with a solid state amp when tuned to about 35hz, and that sealed it will have a Q of about .55. Many thanks!

Tom Jones