Any chance you would make shunt reg boards available to hard core diyer's?

braubeat · 1537

Offline braubeat

I am trying to make my own but I do not have resources for much testing.

Michael

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
If you just want the boards we can sell you some. But the many ways that they can be used would involve writing extensive instructions, and it is something that gets pushed back for more pressing projects. So we might not be able to offer very in depth support at this time. You would need to know how you want to implement them and determine the parts needed and their values on your own.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline braubeat

Well, I am building myself a headphone amp using the 6c45 tube and TL-404 output. I am fine with figuring the resistor values and how the tube and 431 chip work together. The only thing thing I need advice on are the values of the components needed for stability.
Would this be doable?

Michael

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I can't see selling the board without any manual. But I can see that a manual for the "advanced eXperimenter" could be considerably less work. Just a description of each section (shunt regulator and C4S), no applications. Kind of like a transistor specification sheet.

The tough part is that there can be no guarantee or support if your attempt to use it fails. We spend a lot of time and thought on our regular products' design, parts selection, and the manuals to prevent failures, and the resulting good success rate is part of our reputation. It's also the only way we can sustain the current level of support on the forum.

The Paramount soft-start upgrade kit is still listed on the web site. It includes two of the most recent board designs, along with all the parts for a standard application. A relatively modest document could be written about using it at different voltages and currents, not straying too far from the Paramount design. Just for perspective, if we could expect sales of 50 to 100 kits (100 to 200 boards) then it would pay the cost for me to write such a document.

Paul Joppa

Offline braubeat

Well if it ever happens, I'll take several pairs.

Thanks
Michael