Fixed My Speakers

lextek · 2916

Offline lextek

on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:39 AM
I have an original pair of Paradigm Atoms v.1s in a second system.  I love these little mintors.  One developed a distortion.  Took it apart and found the surround of the woofer rotted.  No surprise.  Order a repair kit from speakerworks.com.  Installed it last night.  The Atom lives.  Sounds as good as new.  Ordered a nother kit for the other speaker.  I guess if it didn't work I would have had to get a pair of Blumestein Orcas.  Then I would need a Stereomour.  Saved a few bucks for now.

Bob Lasky

Offline John Roman

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:38:23 AM
Always wanted to try that, replacing a cone that is. I've got a couple drivers that came out of my car where the cone is actually a mylar looking material. Not sure if it's repairable...
How do the drivers sound after the repair?

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline lextek

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 04:52:07 AM
Always wanted to try that, replacing a cone that is. I've got a couple drivers that came out of my car where the cone is actually a mylar looking material. Not sure if it's repairable...
How do the drivers sound after the repair?
I think the one I repaired sounds better than the other one.  I ordered another kit for the other speaker.  Should be here Monday.  This kit just replaced the foam surrounds.

Bob Lasky

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:10:47 PM
I did it to a pair of mini advents that somebody threw in the trash... for 16 dollars and absolutely NO experience, I followed the simple instructions, and it turned out beautifully... not hard to do really, so give it a try...