Speedball Heatsink Lugs

lextek · 2351

Offline lextek

on: March 01, 2012, 04:58:10 PM
Putting the Speedball kit together today.  New type of fun for me, PCBs.  Soldering the the lugs for the heatsinks  was kind of "scary".  I didn't want to get the PCB too hot, but the lugs are pretty thick.  Should I have just put the iron on the lug itself?  I kind of leaned the iron against the lug and worked my way around it.  Looks like it's soldered......

Bob Lasky

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:12 PM
Bob, heatsinks on a PCB are fun. I usually preheat the solder lugs before I insert it into the board, then I use a solder bridge method. Just put some solder on the iron tip before you place it at the joint, this helps get things flowing. It is a PITA if you ruin pads and lift traces, that's why I don't think I'll build any more fully PCB based components. I like to tweak and soldering and desoldering repetitively is a quick way to trash a board. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:16:49 AM
I havent done a ton of heatsinks but I've never worried much about overheating the board because the sink itself is wicking some heat away as you solder.  I dont recall how I set the iron to do the work, I think the tip is mainly on the sink itself. But I havent had any problem flowing the solder for a nice joint.  Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Desmond G.

Offline lextek

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:04:20 AM
I guess I got it right.  Another fun build.  Very, nice upgrade.  Noticed better bass extension and seperation.  Really sounds great.  Overall a "cleaner bigger" sound.  If that makes sense.
     Now I wonder how it would sound with Sennheiser HD700s or 800s.  Maybe not the 700s seems they are a lower impedance, 150.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:13:20 AM by lextek »

Bob Lasky

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:21:26 AM
Bob, I've been using my AKG K702s with the Crack. They are 62 ohms imp. And the Crack drives them well. I think 62 ohm imp. is teetering on the point of what the Crack can drive. I don't think it would have any trouble with 150 ohms.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline lextek

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:46:38 AM
Anbody notice any changes after a period of "burn in"?

Bob Lasky

Offline Laudanum

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:16:09 AM
My K601's seem to be a good match as well at 120 ohms.  Not my go-to phones but I like them especially for live music.

Desmond G.

Offline lextek

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:49 AM
Not that I'm ready to run out and spend $1000 on a pair on HD700s.  Really can't see that happening.  Maybe wait for a pair of used to pop up on Head-Fi when the flavor of the month changes.

Bob Lasky

Offline Laudanum

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:25:11 AM
I'd like a pair of T1's but not in the budget in the near future.  Then again, if I put funds that I've allocated for that 1911 toward the purchase of the Beyers instead,  I would be alot closer :-P

Desmond G.