BLUE BALLS

gee_mg · 1655

Offline gee_mg

on: April 26, 2012, 03:35:12 PM
I forgot who had the post with the crack assembled and they had a set of blue capacitors on the outside.  I believe it was titled crack with blue balls?  Anyways, I have been enjoying my crack with speedball upgrade for almost a year now with no problems from the get go.  I am wondering if adding big capacitors like those blue balls will bring a new sound or clarity to what I already have?

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:51:02 PM
Check this thread:  http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1723.0.html

I installed some big Silences in mine.  I love the sound but there are lots of great options.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline mchurch

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:28:45 PM

Offline Laudanum

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:05 AM
The film caps add a bit of clarity up top,  the electrolytics are a little grainy in comparison but not something that less discerning ears (like mine) notice until the film caps are in.  They also seemed to tighten up the bass a bit.  There is probably a lot of audiophile jargon that can be used to describe the differences but most of it is not in my vocabulary. Suffice it to say that I find films to be an improvement.  Fairly subtle but you dont have to strain to hear it.  Most agree that the biggest single improvement is Speedball.   Lots of caps to choose, many fit inside the chassis ... Solen, Axon, Mundorf MKP, Erse juts to name a few of the more affordable ones ... all should fit, atleast the lower voltage versions.  Im sure there are others as well.

Desmond G.