Classes revisited

Doc B. · 1739

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: May 14, 2012, 02:38:46 PM
We are (once again) kicking around the notion of putting on a class or two. These would be hands on type classes here at Bottleheadquarters. There have been some suggestions in the past to do a series of videos, but that is a bit beyond the scope of what we have in mind at this time.

Based upon past experience and suggestions it looks like two or three ideas float to the top -

An afternoon class where students build a passive stepped attenuator with RCA inputs and outputs, a.k.a. a "passive preamp". We're looking into a design that might offer 36 steps of 2dB per step. You would learn how attenuators work and get a lesson in basic assembly with hand tools and soldering. We did a class something like this at RMAF 2004 and it was a big success.

A class where one learns how to read a schematic and create an actual working piece of gear from it. The class would cover schematic symbols and circuit interpretation and then move on to the basics of layout for durability and low noise. We might use a Crack kit to demonstrate, as both the circuit and layout are relatively easy to grasp.

A Quickie class - a one afternoon class where a gang of Quickie users gets together and each builds a Quickie with help from Bottlehead technicians, who will show proper handwiring and solder techniques and show how to use a digital multimeter for various tests.

We're thinking Saturday afternoons for these classes. For any of these classes we would need a minimum of five students. If you have interest in something like this please post here.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:38:05 PM
I would be very interested in the schematic class. I know what the symbols mean, but there are a lot of pitfalls in that leap to a functional circuit that I would be interested to learn with guidance. I'd probably also be interested in the attenuator workshop, but the schematic would be my number one choice.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:48:40 PM
The schematic class sounds great. My only problem is the cost to travel to Bottlehead HQ.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs