I own a turntable

Alonzo · 2331

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
on: September 17, 2012, 06:05:17 PM
Don't usually spread these but my Mom sent me this link, I think she's making fun of me but anyway, it's hilarious, I've been/said some of those things.
http://thecampussocialite.com/i-own-a-turntable-therefore-i-am-better-than-you

(SFW and kiddies)

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:42:13 AM
Alonzo,

I particularly like the last line:

I do not harbor lossy audio in my home. I own a turntable.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:37:17 PM
That might be true, but analog has so much more information to begin with.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:38:05 PM
If you listen to vinyl you will understand. In a proper set up, records will last forever. Life is full of choices and trade offs. I choose to ride a hard tail motorcycle, and all these riders on their big cushy touring bikes look at me like I'm crazy. Ultimately, they have no idea how connected you can feel to the road. It's a very dynamic and powerful feeling. It has it's trade offs, there's nowhere to put your coffee cup  ;D. If you listen to vinyl, you live in this world. I don't fault you if you only listen to digital (I listen to a bunch of it), but understand there might be more to vinyl and hard tail motorcycles than it seems.     

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:55:27 PM
Not really.  Especially not vinyl, which can be accurately recorded at 44.1 kHz, but only takes 12-13 bits, and more realistically even lower every play.

I guess that depends upon your definition of accurately.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:46:38 AM
So now we have the flip side ... Vinyl is a sucky waste of money, I only listen to digital so I am better than you   ;D

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 02:49:00 AM
We will get this thread locked if we are not careful.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:41 AM
Tim,

How old an LP do you have that you bought new?  I have some from the 60s that play very well.  Others from that time are not in good condition but that is the fault of the owner, not the medium.

I have, in the past 10 years since my vinyl playing system has gotten really good, played a CD, gold remastered, and an LP of the same music to visitors.  Vinyl universally elicits, "Oh...!" from the listener.  No one has liked the CD better.  

And I realize that you are not saying that 44.1/16 is the answer.  Are you saying that digital storage, just storage, is better?  I may not be getting your point.

Edit: I think that 44.1/16 was developed from the AT&T sampling rate for multiplexing telephone lines.  AT&T was interested in transmitting midrange, and attenuating the extremes which they considered noise.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:53:41 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:31 AM
This could rapidly turn into one of those kinds of arguments that wastes too much bandwidth on the web. Everyone has expressed their opinion, and it has remained peaceful. I'm going to lock it before anything disturbs that peace.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.